What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Krissy that's a great idea, those will be some happy bettas!

Haven't done anything with the fish yet, gonna feed them and check on the shrimp. What do you guys suggest as an amount to feed 4 RCS, and how often? With one shrimp I was feeding like maybe a flake every four days to a week. What do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Awe. How cute. What do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha thanks, they are platy fry, I noticed a few more hiding among my plants this morning, all looking healthy! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I cleaned my glass, changed to a Aquaclear 20 with some old media mixed in (actually about 3 days ago), and moved my driftwood piece around to find the best angle/location :) !

Krissy that's a great idea, those will be some happy bettas!

Haven't done anything with the fish yet, gonna feed them and check on the shrimp. What do you guys suggest as an amount to feed 4 RCS, and how often? With one shrimp I was feeding like maybe a flake every four days to a week. What do you suggest?

I would use algae wafers. If they are the small wafers (diameter of a pencil) the a half or quarter of the wafer 3x week.
You may want to try getting shrimp from other AA members. 10 out of 15 RCS I got from the LFS died over a 3-4 month period. I ended up getting 20+ RCS of various sizes (4 berried females) from a fellow AA member for about $25 which was about 1/4 of the LFS price and they have been growing and breeding.

I would use algae wafers. If they are the small wafers (diameter of a pencil) the a half or quarter of the wafer 3x week.
You may want to try getting shrimp from other AA members. 10 out of 15 RCS I got from the LFS died over a 3-4 month period. I ended up getting 20+ RCS of various sizes (4 berried females) from a fellow AA member for about $25 which was about 1/4 of the LFS price and they have been growing and breeding.

Thank you for the suggestions :)

I do have algae wafers, I'll try them to see if the shrimp like them. I actually saw a person bringing in RCS to the LFS, and he seemed like an experienced fish keeper with very high grade shrimp, so for now I'll stick with mine. If something goes wrong I'll probably buy some from here :)

I got an early-birthday betta yesterday from my grandma! He's a beautiful red and blue crown tail. Unfortunately the bowl she got is just a little over a half-gallon, so I'm gonna do a lot of water changes. I'm gonna try to fix up my cousin's goldfish tank because it's covered in algae and she wants more.

Happy birthday kitty...
Repost from my "Fresh2o's Planted Rescape" thread...
Trimmed the tank today. Everything needed a trim and replant. They seemed to fare well one week without ferts and glut.
Here is the left side with some Downoi, Ammania bonsai, AR mini, and Rotala wallichii:
zigDX3k.jpg

Middle with Star repens, few strands of pogo erectus, and AR:
FcgcuUQ.jpg

Right side with more star repens, AR, and Bacopa caroliniana. Yes, that is moss growing on the back wall on this and the previous pic:
DFv2eWI.jpg

FTS:
ZCc85oV.jpg
I just turned on the filters so things are a bit cloudy at the moment. Packing and shipping some plants later today.

Thanks Krissy and Fresh!

Fresh tank looks great!

Cleaned out the 2.5G which will be leaving tomorrow. Missed the person who was supposed to get the Betta and tank. My day off not hers. So we will try again. I changed the sand and cleaned the front and sides of the tank. Put the Betta in and he is \swimming around happily.

On sad news side, I don't see my favorite Betta in the Chi tank, and despite the top on it I am afraid I had a jumper. Don't see any body on the front 3 sides, so will look in the back. Huge cabinet is very heavy to move. Hoping he is sleeping under a rock, but not very likely. :cry: He was in there yesterday when I fed him and added water.

Not behind the cabinet, mighta been eaten by the cat or dog.

On the positive my 12G Edge is like a little jungle and I still like my Edge tank but right now I am hating the rest, very fish depressed now.

Last edited:
Cleaned out the 2.5G which will be leaving tomorrow. Missed the person who was supposed to get the Betta and tank. My day off not hers. So we will try again. I changed the sand and cleaned the front and sides of the tank. Put the Betta in and he is \swimming around happily.

On sad news side, I don't see my favorite Betta in the Chi tank, and despite the top on it I am afraid I had a jumper. Don't see any body on the front 3 sides, so will look in the back. Huge cabinet is very heavy to move. Hoping he is sleeping under a rock, but not very likely. :cry: He was in there yesterday when I fed him and added water.

Not behind the cabinet, mighta been eaten by the cat or dog.

On the positive my 12G Edge is like a little jungle and I still like my Edge tank but right now I am hating the rest, very fish depressed now.

I hope you find your Betta. Losing a fish and finding a body isn't a massive issue but losing a fish and finding no body will send me crazy one day. Alien abduction can cause mental health issues for aquarium keepers. I also know where you are coming from with a lack of motivation for your tanks. When i work overtime regularly my tanks all turn into jungles. Trimming a neat tank is not a big time consumer but getting them from jungle back to a scaped looking tank can be a time consuming task and i know it will happen again soon enough even while i am trimming. Regular maintenance time adds up too, I'm spending about 1.5 hours every Sunday doing WC and tank maintenance, plus extra time doing WC on smaller tanks through the week. There are days when i despise certain tanks. At some stage i think i will downsize the number of tanks i keep or consolidate my fish into a few larger tanks and be rid of the smaller ones. At this stage though i am keen to add another couple of large tanks.

WDIDTMTT
Found a neon tetra on the floor yesterday while doing WC.
40% WC on all tanks
Re-scaped for my newly acquired fantails
Feeding
Trimmed my overgrown Kuhli tank and removed about 20 dwarf chain sword runners. The DCS is a nice plant but the runners it throws out get annoying at times. Each adult plant can send out a new runner about fortnightly which in a week will have 5-7 juvenile plants invading any part of the tank. This tank has a reasonably big issue with green hair Algae but still has Cherry shrimp so my usual hydrogen peroxide treatments are not an option. I plan to pull out all the driftwood and stones for a scrub soon. I have trimmed the algae off the plants a few times but the driftwood spreads it to the nearby plants again very quickly.

Introduced hydrilla verticillata from a local lake. I'll be heavily planted in no time!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404695814608.jpg
    1404695814608.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom