What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Upgraded my shrimp tank to the fluval flex 15g and did a 20g wc on the apisto tank.

How are you liking the Flex 15G???!!! It has been on my radar!!!

````````````

Been shopping around for rocks and gravel and sand.

Went to the local river and got some awesome inspiration for roots grown into the soil but top of roots exposed because of the rivers flow.

So far can't find the right look I have in mind, so probably will have to just use the rocks, tiny river pebbles, sand and the current DW and do a little rescape later if I find what I am looking for.

CaribSea Super Naturals Peace river gravel 2-4mm grain.

And some coarse/fine sand. misc sized river rocks. Excited to grab a bunch of river rocks!

How are you liking the Flex 15G???!!! It has been on my radar!!!

````````````

Been shopping around for rocks and gravel and sand.

Went to the local river and got some awesome inspiration for roots grown into the soil but top of roots exposed because of the rivers flow.

So far can't find the right look I have in mind, so probably will have to just use the rocks, tiny river pebbles, sand and the current DW and do a little rescape later if I find what I am looking for.

CaribSea Super Naturals Peace river gravel 2-4mm grain.

And some coarse/fine sand. misc sized river rocks. Excited to grab a bunch of river rocks!

So far so good, little cramped but I like it

Performed a 50% pwc today and some basic tank mChecked chems yesterday and nitrates were on the high side around 40ppm. All other parameters were good. Almost cleaned the Fluval FX6 filter. Rinsed the coarse sponge filters using the filter water. Then dumped the water in the filter housing, it was quite filthy. I also removed the "seed" filter as it was falling apart.

Today I released the 9 Molly fry into general population, since the 10th fry was moving freely about. Hopefully, I won't regret that decision.

20191012_115326.jpg20191012_115744.jpg20191012_115804.jpg

Saturday found a couple options for the 80G tank build.

Went to 2 rock yards.

One was closed but able to look at available supplies. They have some great colored riverstones.

Second had some nice stones, river pebbles like 4-5 inch sizes (and larger stones) - Mexican beach pebbles is their name and where they are from. Colors are blue-black like smooth river stones and lighter grey and also some burgundy /purple color.

The interesting part is there is a size which is very small maybe 2-3mm in the same darker colors and just super tiny. I was looking at the Caribsea Peace River and it is very light very similar size.

I intend for the river bottom to have a mix of sizes from sand to stones, and this is ideal. Pretty sure they had some sand as well. They just recently got these. They are .49 per pound.

Better price for the substrate than store bought brand and for individual stones bought by the basket load better than the $2.99-4.99 stones like Elephant and Dragon.

One Congo river Biotope used some round river stones and petrified wood stones too. I only have a few greyish colors in my vast petrified wood hoard.

Mostly was told from the collectors I bought it from, coming from New Mexico and Arizona. The greys were from Oregon.

Blending in the colors will probably work.

The darker Mexico Beach pebbles will really help the Congo Tetras stand out.

Hey Autumn wondering if you have a site that gives more than basic info on the Congos? I *think* mine are going to end up being tank mates in the 103g with the Hoplos but want to make sure that everyone will be happy

Hey Autumn wondering if you have a site that gives more than basic info on the Congos? I *think* mine are going to end up being tank mates in the 103g with the Hoplos but want to make sure that everyone will be happy

Funny but you probably ran into the same like 6 websites and 5 of them have the exact same information stolen from someones original offering.

Can't even get a clear understanding of the habitat they come from, (same problem with the Clown Loach habitat).

So I have been coming up fairly empty handed.

Did start the build thread, though nothing there exciting yet for my 80G
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/autumskys-river-basin-styled-80g-370444.html

Was thinking of a Congo river basin tank, but the Clown Loaches aren't from the Congo. That will be the general direction.

Understanding that the rainy season changes things for the fish in both areas and it will be a mashup of both.

Short version is

CAS auction day.

I got some Tanzanite Guppies - 5 1 adult male and 4 females

Plants including Flamingo Crypt I have been just so hoping to get my hands on, and baby Bolbitis and A mass of Dwarf SAG.

At the lfs 5 Ember Tetras 5 for $5. - and a Rock Flower Anemone with rock.

And a few big surprises.

Long version here...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/what-a-very-strange-day-370496.html

Last edited:
Washed rocks, moved fish tanks, did their filter cleans and water changes as well.

Trying to get the tanks level. New 30G Waterbox has 14 little feet to get a good level. My Innovative Marine has sticky feet I guess so it doesn't slip around, and I am not sure how I will lift it up to get it level. Shims are not going to be tall enough unless I really stack them on one side. Not level at all, crazy floor.

Been shopping around and comparing lights. Unfortunately the 24" wide tank is not a size light I already have, and the fancy pants lights would need 2 units to do the best job and that is not in my budget. Probably one premium light isn't in my budget.

So the cool gooseneck style lights are $90-100 for 2 and cheap knock off styles, which makes me think I would just get a bar style and call it a day. Only used lights are for SW on CL. Then deciding on which light and if you want adjustable and automatic features.

I have current USA lights for a bunch of tanks. They have been fine but not that bright. Still need to learn some adjustment options in programming.

Moved my Rock Flower Anemone over a bit.

Moved some mossy type planted bowls to the back room.

Not 100% happy with the looks of the tank wall - the 2 different 4' tanks will flank the center new waterbox 24".

No weight lifting helpers appeared at my house today to move the Innovative Marine monster heavy tank.

Am doing a trial of keeping Picasso the HM Plakat in the 72G. Thus reducing a tank if it all goes well. He seems a little cautious and bewildered at all the fish in the tank and not seeming to be aggressive yet. Been about 4 hours though.

Just bought a factory refurb light /
Edit - just changed it to a new one for the same price.

ECOXOTIC #9402 Series E- Full Spectrum LED (Refurbished) - 24" E-60
$29 including shipping.

Will work for the time being and might be good. Still thinking of a gooseneck style.

Last edited:
I make gooseneck led lights. Soon about to finish up the design and pitch it to the community to see if there is any interest. I actually brought one to show you but you left so fast at CAS lol.

Light features- 6 white .5watt, 3 warm white .5w leds, along with 3 blue .2w, 3 red .4w, 3 green .2w (can change to pink or UV).
5730 LEDs. The same that other companies use such as Beamswork and Nicrew.
LED constant driver to ensure LEDs run at their brightest settings
Adjustable dimming of the white lights and colored separately.
Zero copper used for mounting hardware, stainless or aluminum when able elsewhere.
Gooseneck design for adjustable placement.

Designed for smaller rimless tanks. I run this on three tanks with plants ranging from swords to dwarf lilies. Need to get feelers because since they are handmade they arent the cheapest.

If youre interested, we could talk about a design that could work for your new tank.

I make gooseneck led lights. Soon about to finish up the design and pitch it to the community to see if there is any interest. I actually brought one to show you but you left so fast at CAS lol.

Light features- 6 white .5watt, 3 warm white .5w leds, along with 3 blue .2w, 3 red .4w, 3 green .2w (can change to pink or UV).
5730 LEDs. The same that other companies use such as Beamswork and Nicrew.
LED constant driver to ensure LEDs run at their brightest settings
Adjustable dimming of the white lights and colored separately.
Zero copper used for mounting hardware, stainless or aluminum when able elsewhere.
Gooseneck design for adjustable placement.

Designed for smaller rimless tanks. I run this on three tanks with plants ranging from swords to dwarf lilies. Need to get feelers because since they are handmade they arent the cheapest.

If youre interested, we could talk about a design that could work for your new tank.

That sounds really nice. PM me and you can send me the pics. So sorry about missing you!!! I would love to see these.

The Water box is 24" wide and 18". Join here for some discussion.

EDIT: just made a thread to think about lighting options!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...s-tank-waterbox-clear-370507.html#post3531235

Last edited:
Been busy the last couple days finding things to go with the tank(s).

Latest additions are a new Mopani wood with a similar / complementary shape to the Cypress knees DW.

A set of lights, a new and a refurbished model E-60 Ecoxotic. The same prices when I ordered intended to be one light but bought 2 since one was a refurbished. Same price though. Don't think I can send the other one back.

Both arrived together, very fast, a day ahead and even though one was supposed to be refurbish grade B condition, both came looking perfect and nearly perfect, a tiny scratch not really noticeable was the only thing I saw.

Got them hooked up just to make sure they worked. And they ARE really bright compared to my normal lights.

Got a 20# bag of Golden Sunset Caribsea Super Naturals.

Very close to sending my order for some shrimp. Going to get some Golden Bee shrimp. And then trying to make up my mind on the others.

Tank build is coming soon. Chugging along pretty well.

Need to dig out my AquaClear 110 for the new Waterbox - it will have to do for a filter for now as I wasn't planning on setting up this tank! Hadn't even thought of which filter to use, the Waterbox company uses a canister filter.

Also considering if it makes sense to start planning a CO2 set up. Birthday and Christmas are coming...

Last edited:
Today was tank maintenance day... Chem check ok... 50% pwc... I couldn't find my aquarium salt... I'll add next time. Couple days ago one of Glofish Tetras passed on. It looked it was slightly bloated and eyes kinda swollen, had noticed it in the morning, by evening it had passed on.

Another batch of Molly fry scooped up after the pwc. There are now 13 in breeding pen.

Round em up midnite!

Got a mock scape in the yard as I have yet to get an additional strong person to lift the heavy tank.

60074-albums14790-picture72277.jpg

The extra DW are from the outside bucket and then, the new one I just bought for the scape.

This one is a log and has a hollow side on the right and moss growing on the left top. might move it for the right side of the tank.

Was hoping to plant some plants out the top on the side with the tall DW side which will be coming out of the water. Thinking of a way to make a "planter" for the plants.

Either a literal pot of soil or a drain pipe with holes in it and screen and soil maybe. Will be visiting the hardware store for some inspiration/supplies. Otherwise the plants like Fern and Anubias will mostly be tied on to rocks and maybe a spot of DW.

More pics of the rocks on the build thread and misc.

Unfortunately the pointed knee DW will look most appealing with the point sticking out to the (facing the tank) left side as it is in the pics, the back is flat and less interesting. Which is a bummer, as the wall in the room is on the right.

But it looks really good. I will be looking for a heavy slate to screw into the wood as it is super light and won't sink for awhile. Also will need to add a stone under it to make it sit up some so the twisty root can come forward and down to the "sandy bottom".

Not too sure if I should just try and drill a hole in a river stone or not. Need to find a good drill bit... maybe practice with a small one to start. Pretty sure the appropriate drill bit would be a little expensive.

60074-albums14790-picture72275.jpg

Mexico Beach stones

this is the "sand" as they called it 3mm giver or take.
60074-albums14790-picture72280.jpg

the .5-.75 inch / 2cm
60074-albums14790-picture72281.jpg

variety of larger stones
60074-albums14790-picture72282.jpg

###########
Did a 65% pwc on the 72G - getting it ready to be closer in water parameters to when the new tank get up. I hope tomorrow will get a strong helper. One possible helper left on vacation today so it will leave me and a really strong guy. Fingers crossed.

The built in light top on my Betta 6.6 cube is going crazy like it is switching channels and giving thunder storm or something every few minutes driving me crazy, probably the Betta is not happy about it either.

Been looking at the Finnex nano tank light Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights. It is like the one on my Wine Glass tank (only partially lighted as It got dipped intot he tank...and not all the LEDs work now) I got used /and working perfectly when I bought it, for $10.

A new one is best price is $38. shipped I think. Might use the one I have for a little bit to save up more supplies money, lol!!! Or the National Geographic nano clip light. There is a higher light needing plant in there and should use a good light though.

Found the Plakat Betta Picasso after not being able to find him in the 72G tank for 3 days after the first day of introducing him there. It was a few days of guilty panic.

He was found in the middle of the Anubias leaves and the Sword plant I threw in there to hang out practically floating to be near the stronger light.

Today after the water change and moving the Sword over a little I was able to see him and get a couple pics.

60074-albums14771-picture72284.jpg

60074-albums14771-picture72283.jpg

Also speaking of Bettas, the Thai Betta Phoenix, has growths on his sides each side like something is growing through him. Read that it seems to be a fairly common problem with Dragonscale Bettas, and some are just ugly and some are deadly based upon how and where it grows. Seems / looks similar to Lymphocystis.

Connectivity delays and drops from internet has made getting pics up a royal pain, so maybe will have pics later.

Last edited:
Water change day, 20g on the apisto tank and 5 on the flex. Added 5 ember tetras to the flex and a few stems of Mexican oak leaf and golden lloydeliea. Added 10 rosey tetras and 8 Otos to the 40 and a few groups of rotola indica 1 of Mexican oak leaf and the golden lloydellia. First additions to the 40 since I added a female apisto that introduced something that wiped out half the tank.

Busy fish day.

It all started with a water change.

Which identified a bunch of muck in the QT 12G tank.

Soooo, I did 20G water change on a 12G tank - sucking out 5 gallons and adding them back as I vac'd the substrate. Moved stuff around, and vac'ing under the other stuff.

One gallon water change for the Thai Betta.

As usual nothing is easy. Had to tear apart one tank and get the things out and to move to the tank it was supposed to.

Then the 5G Spec V needed a water change but I planned to take the tank down soon and would like the space on the table. Soooooo......

Moved the contents of the 12G Edge into a bucket as this is the location the 5G Spec V fish were going into.

And now for the lesson of the day, Class, if you have a 12G tank of water and a 5G bucket, how much water will go into the 5G bucket? (using a vac')

It seems the logical answer would be 5G.

But when someone interrupts you and needs help with something obviously one goes and helps them. And upon returning to the room...

The answer to the question is appx. 10G of water.

5G have gone into the 5G bucket. And 5G overflowed onto the floor. :facepalm: So much water..... :facepalm: Thank goodness I just did the tank towel laundry and had 6 old bath towels to quickly clean up the HUGE mess.

Cleaned out the Edge 12G. (as well as part of my floor)

Added the new appx 16 pounds of the 20 pound of Caribsea Sunset gold. With some of the Dragon Stone and Mexican Beach pebble sand.

Had to use a razor blade to get out the algae, just a small but noticeable amount.

Took out the fish as I got out plants and a ton of dwarf water lettuce.

The items which were going to get moved got moved to the 12G Edge.

But had to move some furniture and then clean behind it and the other stuff I made a mess of - ha! I clean the house AND the tanks!

OH MY!!! So tired now.

Moved the 5G Spec V, to the back room to let it clear up and added a cleaned out the filter. Will use it as a QT soon. It has a few rocks MTS and a couple rocks.

Kept it's light at the plant table to use for the "Guppy" QT tank right now. The momma Guppy had babies yesterday since I saw a bunch of teeny tiny babies amongst the long rooted Dwarf Water Lettuce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added the Samurai Soil to the bottom of the new Waterbox, will add in a bubbler to keep it with its BB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom