What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Upgraded my holding/quarantine tank today using a large clear glass kitchen jar from Cost Plus World Market for $14.99. It's about 12" tall and 8" wide with a 6" neck.
CPWM+Large+Kitchen+Jar.png

Cleaned out the jar and put some floating plants along with some xmas moss tied to driftwood hunk. It's where our suspect neon tetra is convalescing.
20130825_193119.jpg

PWC on our betta bowl
Replaced c. demersum with subwassertang, I think our betta is getting used to it, he's going under the moss and nosing around, then resurfacing and doing a lap around the bowl.
20130825_192016.jpg

20% wc on our shrimp tank using RO

Drip acclimated 3 new super tiger shrimp in OSH bucket for several hours
20130825_171240.jpg

They have a chunk of java moss and will hang out till the morning before being integrated into our 2G Long Nano Shrimp Tank

Well, exciting news for us! We finally added fish to our aquarium! So now we have 5 male show guppies. Each a bit different from the other so we can tell them apart. White then orange body with orange and black tail, yellow body with orange tail, white and black body and black tail, white and light blue body light blue tail, and a slightly darker blue with spots on the edge of his tail.
The look so tiny in the tank.

Going to leave the tank at that for now and add more gradually. We have a 30 gallon (I think). Also, went to the peach festival (we live in southern ontario Canada) and bought some nice quartz/crystals to put in our tank, once they've gone through an extensive cleaning. :)

Wish I would stay up all night to watch our fishies. Poor bettas are gonna be jealous.

Upgraded my holding/quarantine tank today using a large clear glass kitchen jar from Cost Plus World Market for $14.99. It's about 12" tall and 8" wide with a 6" neck.
CPWM+Large+Kitchen+Jar.png

Cleaned out the jar and put some floating plants along with some xmas moss tied to driftwood hunk. It's where our suspect neon tetra is convalescing.
20130825_193119.jpg

PWC on our betta bowl
Replaced c. demersum with subwassertang, I think our betta is getting used to it, he's going under the moss and nosing around, then resurfacing and doing a lap around the bowl.
20130825_192016.jpg

20% wc on our shrimp tank using RO

Drip acclimated 3 new super tiger shrimp in OSH bucket for several hours
20130825_171240.jpg

They have a chunk of java moss and will hang out till the morning before being integrated into our 2G Long Nano Shrimp Tank

Did you put in an air bubbler for the Neon, sometimes the plants don't make enough oxygen for them overnight???

Did a 25% water change on my 10 gallon, and in the process discovered another plantlet on my java fern! Very excited. Later today I will be going to the LFS to get a nice looking piece of driftwood, some root tabs for my swords, and SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive (not satisfied with API Leafzone).

New Shrimp arrived today!!!

I just got in my Dark Blue Velvet /DBV Shrimp, 10+ they were all very active but pale.

Also about 30 FR to near PFR color Neos. (Fire Red to Painted Fire Red / so you will know, in case you aren't into shrimp)

This will make my new stock complete - the others have already been having babies too so there will be Autumn Fire Reds for sale in a month, I think!!!

Acclimating...

Found some of my Mystery snails babies hatched or whatever you call it, so fun!!! I saw about 10 last night.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Found 3 more mystery clutches this morning! I tried to get them off the walls of the tank but they weren't hard enough to break off yet so there is some damage to a couple, but overall since they are pretty large, say 200+ eggs in 2/3 I think I'll be okay lol
I also ordered 6 electric blue melanochromis johanni juveniles that I can't wait to get on Wednesday! I've been looking for some I can actually afford for 3 months now!
Found some fry in my breeder net from my RREA x albino blue topaz pairing of guppies, so far none are albino and this will be f2 so I don't know what is going on but hopefully one of my true ABT females drops soon so I can do another cross into the strain in a few months.
I've been trying to catch convict juveniles all morning as well. These little suckers are so **** fast!! I think i'll need help lol

Will be doing w/c's on all my 10-39g tanks in a bit.

Got a package in of moss today im gonna add it to my tank until i finish soaking my dw.. then im gonna stick it on there ... but for now its being checked out by my shrimp ...

Havnt done to much to the tanks as im still having issues with my water but i have topped off evaporation , checked parameters , fed all tanks.. oh n noticed all but 3 ramshorn snails gone the blues are pigs not even a whole month ha gone by since i restocked the tank..

Ill have a few more batches on their way soon im sticking pretty red ones in my shrimp tank and some others in with the blues then ill keep a few to get them reproducing so i wont have this problem again hopefully

Monitored our sequestered neon tetra today
She actually is looking and acting much more normal, in fact, like 100% normal, though I suspect she is unhappy being in a large glass jar with only a few floating plants and moss.

Wondering when we should re-introduce her to the brood?

There is no filter on this jar so I will have to add/change water daily. I was thinking about moving our betta to the jar but the glass is not smooth and viewing is distorted from just about all angles. Will probably convert the jar into a plant/moss staging vessel, a bit prettier than an OSH paint bucket but also less functional.

New Shrimp
Yesterday we picked up 3 new Super Tigers to replace the ones we lost (1 DOA and 3 shuffled the shrimp ladder to heaven) and now we have 5.

We slow drip acclimated them, held overnight and introduced them this morning in the light. All shrimp were visible in the evening, and a new molt was found, there are now 5 molts visible in part or whole.

Otocinclus update
Day 2 of o. huaorani in our 6G Cyl Tank with our 4 other neon tetras. Originally we thought these were o. hoppei, but they have "colored up" some on their dorsal flanks, the tail markings are more like o. hoppei than o. huaorani though.

This fish is new to us so it's hard to say much, but they seem active. We have observed them stuck to side of tank, sucking leaves, resting, swimming, and generally sticking together as a pair. They are adorable, I hope they both survive considering what they probably went through before I got them. We are happy with these peaceful fish and our neon tetras are avoiding them though not acting threatened.

Last edited:
Day 2 of caring for my platy fry. They are curious little things. When I kneel down to check on them more and more are coming to the glass where I am. Count is still at 10.
My adopted betta isn't looking too good. He is still flaring, especially when I go over to feed him, but he is less actively general. When I got him his fins were all torn up due to the decorations he had. One has lost it's color completely while the other is growing a rust colored spot. Doing pwc on his tank daily. He was badly neglected before I got him last thurs, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed he will get better with some TLC.
One of my ADFs got out of his tank last night and managed to get all the way from the living room to my kitchen and was still hopping along when I caught him. I only found him cause I was unable to sleep and so I was up and about all night. I don't want to think what could have happened if I hadn't been up. He is in a big flower vase right now with some anacharis so I can make sure he didn't catch something. Still can't figure out how he got out such tiny openings without hurting himself. Going to invest in some filter floss to stuff in the spaces around the filter when I have money. Watching the rest like a hawk!

Going to invest in some filter floss to stuff in the spaces around the filter when I have money. Watching the rest like a hawk!

We used a window screen and put it over the holes to keep our crawfish/crayfish from escaping just cut it to size and taped it over the holes and i inserted a piece where the filter is bc the hole is just big enough for them to get out and the male lays on the plant leaves right by it .. although they have never tried to escape

I set up my new Fluval 206 canister filter on my display tank. This is my first venture into canisters. I really like the filter, but I really don't like the stiff, ribbed hoses. Hopefully they get a little more flexible in time. It is good that the hoses won't kink or collapse, but they are a bear to work with. The good news is that it didn't leak and it primed and started right up. It is silent and it has very good flow control. I love the aquastop valve and how that works. I had to run to the store to get more ceramic rings. IMHO it comes with half the amount it should. I'm still running my Aquaclear 50 because it has all my good bacteria at this point.

Things in my QT are not so good. I tried rummy nose tetras again. 3 of the 7 I bought died in the first 24 hours 3 days ago. I woke up today to the remaining four having ich. So I'm treating. I hope they make it. At least they are in QT and easily treated there. I'm so glad I got a QT. It just paid for itself.

Last edited:
20 gallon and just the common plecos :) so far so good seem to be doing fine with my other fish and turtles

Yes me and you are 2 different people

Well the plecos get over 2 feet and most turtles get 1ft. I dont think they are all gonna fit. You can do 700% water changes and 4 times daily and it still wont work. Im thinking of your animals welfare. Be kind to them and get them something in the 125 gallon range and 2 fx6 filters if you wanna keep the turtle in there

Back
Top Bottom