What disease killed him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What disease killed this fish?
I still have 2 false julii in the tank. After last death I used paraguard.
Should I euthanize the last 2?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410108302.631828.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410108326.713671.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410108335.881220.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410108344.787850.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410108354.547547.jpg

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Have you had them for long? Are there any other fish in your tank?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are in semi planted fully cycled 2 gallon QT. They are on day 18.

50% PWCs done every 3 days.

Parameters generally: 0,0,2, 8.2pH, temp ~ 76

(I didn't test today b/c I removed the dead one who was sick but alive 2hr earlier and did 2 50%PWCs, sand vacumn, plant removal with peroxide soak)

All fish always slow drip acclimated. All water is dechlorinated and aged 24 hrs in pitchers.

I bought 4 at LFS "A" on August 18. 3 died within 24 hrs. (I believe all of the store's fish died that day, too) One survived until August 25.

On August 19, I bought 4 from LFS "B". First death was Sept 2nd. I began treating with Paraguard. 2nd death was this morning Sept 7th.

Fish "A" & fish "B" together in same QT tank.

There are 2 survivors which I don't know whether to treat with something or euthanize. Whatever they are dying from looks painful.

So sorry for your Cory troubles. I'm no Cory expert but my theory is nitrate poisoning from crappy maintained tanks at the LFS. Corys are pretty hardy little guys so it took some really bad conditions to do them in. OS.

Thanks, OS! I appreciate the help!

Edited: I noticed pink on one side of one of the 2 survivors and thought it best to euthanize them rather than have them suffer and die such a painful looking death.

I'm going to try to figure this out. From this diagram and where the fish show injury. It look like the stomach gets affected 1st then the vent. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410196134.731786.jpg

http://www.penn.museum/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Internal-Fish-Anatomy
(add .jpg to end of link , if I post that way then u see 2 pics and no link)

So far, I considering;

Digenetic Flukes (Metacercaria)
Typically seen in newly imported fish and in two forms. Black spot is caught from snails that release the Cercaria. Larval forms penetrate the skin and encyst in the tissue and may be seen as red or black nodules. If eaten by a Bird for instance they then develop into adults. Sanguinicola disease passes from fish to snail and then back as minute worms that live in the fishes bloodstream. There they lay eggs that block up the blood vessels which in turn causes Necrosis. As far as I know there is still no cure for this problem.

And

Red Pest (Bacterial)
Red pest is so called because of the red streaks that occur on the skin, that may lead to ulcerations, and fin or tail rot, causing parts of the fins or tail to actually drop off. This bacteria infects the fish internally and externally, and treatment is not usually effective. If fish are only lightly infected you can try to eradicate this problem by sterilising the aquarium with Acriflavine or Monacrin. Giving the aquarium a good clean up is also helpful, feed lightly whilst treating. Personally I would not bother with treatment as by the time you notice this bacteria it is usually well advanced, and the fish are already suffering.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_disease2.php

Still researching..... But, I keep getting links to human stomach issues from fish even when "-human" googling

I went to LFS B and showed their senior fish keeper the photos. He said he has seen this particular disease and it is bacterial. That it is a bad one. That it is highly contagious and will rapidly wipe out an entire tank. That when they have seen it in one of their tanks, they immediately treat the entire tank with MELAFIX.

People have messaged me Kanaplex and maracyn2 are also good choices.

(LFS B did not sell Kanaplex or Maracyn2)

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish :( That's very sad and unfortunate. It's good you were able to figure it out though.

If you don't mind my asking, just so I know in the future, (I hope I never have to use the information!) how do you euthanize a fish?

I used the icy water method. (There is a sticky at the beginning of unhealthy fish that gives all the step by step procedures.). I put water in a big tumbler plastic cup added ice, put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Fished out all but 1 cube of ice. Transferred the 2 cory 1 at a time into the cup. They died in less than 30 seconds. Then, to be sure, I put the cup back in the freezer for 15 more minutes and then flushed them. ( My doctor told me a nice idea. She would bury hers in the potting soil of a new house plant. That way they were still with her. )

Previously, I botched a clove oil euthanization. I didn't mix it with the water good enough. ( I did read something that if clove oil is mixed with alcohol (vodka) that it would mix better with the water, but I never bought vodka to see if it would work. https://www.louisiana.edu/sites/research/files/NeifferFishSedation.pdf
(People have posted that you use a container with a lid and shake it like crazy for a long time & then immediately put the fish in)

Cory are boney fish, so the same fish I botched the clove oil on, I tried to cut off his head and ended up cutting him in 1/2.

The icy water worked perfect and they died super fast.

I went to LFS B and showed their senior fish keeper the photos. He said he has seen this particular disease and it is bacterial. That it is a bad one. That it is highly contagious and will rapidly wipe out an entire tank. That when they have seen it in one of their tanks, they immediately treat the entire tank with MELAFIX.

People have messaged me Kanaplex and maracyn2 are also good choices.

(LFS B did not sell Kanaplex or Maracyn2)

Hmm, interesting. Bacterial makes sense.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me and the link. I hope I never have to use it, but it is good information to have.

That is a sweet thing, to bury the fish in the plant soil :)

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom