What do I do with the babies?/De-ionizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok,
Here's a new one. My 75 gal planted tank is experiencing algae problems. Oy. Beard algae. However, my black mollies just had babies and now my concern is what will happen to them if I do a massive water change in attempt to combat the algae. Is that a bad idea to do right away? SHould I wait till the babies are a bit bigger? Should I care about the babies at all?
Also, I was at the LFS the other week to ask their opinion on how to combat the beard algae problem and they said I definitely need a de-ionizer. Is that correct? Or are they just trying to sell me stuff. I didn't buy it cause I wanted to see what you guys think about it.
I am just swimming with all these ideas on how to get rid of the algae and I just want to get a streamlined idea as to the best, most effective, cost-efficient(if that's possible) way of gettin rid of it and preventing it in the future...
Thanks for any advice...
Bondstreet

Do you have any algea eaters? ansistorious seem to eat that stuff up (bristlenose).

One way to get rid of you algea without any cost is to do a partial water change then a total blackout for 5 days or so.
just make sure you don't allow any light to get in at all. works best for some people I know.
may take a dent out of your electricity aswell ??

Good luck.

Chris.

Also, I was at the LFS the other week to ask their opinion on how to combat the beard algae problem and they said I definitely need a de-ionizer

You sure they didn't say UV Sterilizer? Some people use these on plant tanks, they go in-line with your filter return hose and kill any free-floating algae spores. Not neccesary, IMO. Your tank should balance out eventually.

My exp. is this. After setting up the tank with all my high-teck gear, I went through blue-green algae, string algae, staghorn algae, and green water. Loads o' fun!

I just kept up on 10-20% water changes each week, removed what algae I could by hand, stopped all fertilization, and waited patiently. Eventually all the algae died, except for a little bit of string algae, which my SAE's keep in check, very little to be seen. Also, during this time, you can trim plants, but don't move any. Moving disturbs the substrate, releasing any substrate fertilizers that you use into the water column. Instant algae food.

That's my experience, but no 2 tanks are the same. This may not work for you, but I sure hope it does. Just remember, I have many years of fish keeping, but less than 1 year on the planted tank, so I am by no means an expert.

Good luck 007 Street, keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom