What do I have here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
This was sold to me as a super red blood parrot. He is much redder than my cell phone pics show. What drew me to him is dark red and shape but still has a normal mouth that closes so it makes me wonder what he is. Is it a Blood Parrot crossed back to a Red devil or is just a short body red devil/midas? He is about 2.5". He has normal mouth that closes fine, no notch in the head, and isn't fat or balloon bellied like parrots. He is also already claimed a corner of the tank and fended off bigger fish so he seems fairly aggressive.

I know nobody can tell me for sure what he is but just wonder what other thoughts are. Probably a BP with a non mutated head or could he be something else? What ever he is I love him. My daughter has named him Strawberry.

Attachments

• 20141113_182537.jpg
    20141113_182537.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20141113_182607.jpg
    20141113_182607.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 20141113_185529.jpg
    20141113_185529.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 149
Cool fish man!!! Unlike any Red Parrot I've ever seen before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool fish man!!! Unlike any Red Parrot I've ever seen before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank You. My wife always liked parrots but I wouldn't get them due to the messed up mouths. I have been with my wife 11 years first time I saw a parrot like this in that amount of time.

Considering that the parrot has "red devil genes" in its genetic make up, what you probably have is a disfigured parrot. ( I know, that sounds funny as the parrot fish itself is disfigured. :blink: ) Then again, it could also just be a deformed R.Devil but would qualify as a deformed Parrot because of the mix. Considering that I have seen parrots with all types of mouth configurations, ( towards the left side, towards the right side, towards the bottom, etc.) there doesn't seem to be any "quality control" for this fish which is why it was sent with a parrot shipment.
Just be aware that since parrots are routinely dyed, the dark red on yours may be dye that will eventually wash away.

Here's an interesting article about parrots if you want a little science and see some first hand experiences by the author. Genetics of the Blood Parrot Cichlid | Greg(theCrazyFishGuy)'s Aquarium Research

Hope this helps (y)

I would say that is a parrot that has been crossed with a red devil/midas again.

Considering that the parrot has "red devil genes" in its genetic make up, what you probably have is a disfigured parrot. ( I know, that sounds funny as the parrot fish itself is disfigured. :blink: ) Then again, it could also just be a deformed R.Devil but would qualify as a deformed Parrot because of the mix. Considering that I have seen parrots with all types of mouth configurations, ( towards the left side, towards the right side, towards the bottom, etc.) there doesn't seem to be any "quality control" for this fish which is why it was sent with a parrot shipment.
Just be aware that since parrots are routinely dyed, the dark red on yours may be dye that will eventually wash away.

Here's an interesting article about parrots if you want a little science and see some first hand experiences by the author. Genetics of the Blood*Parrot*Cichlid | Greg(theCrazyFishGuy)'s Aquarium Research

Hope this helps (y)
Wow, those fish are awful looking.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;) Personally, I wouldn't have created a fish that had that many "deformities" in the first place. But people like them so who am I to say? I just prefer the more natural wild appearances that the fish started out with. (y)

Here's an interesting article about parrots if you want a little science and see some first hand experiences by the author. Genetics of the Blood*Parrot*Cichlid | Greg(theCrazyFishGuy)'s Aquarium Research

Hope this helps (y)

Thanks Andy, I was aware of the dyed fish and they assured me that these are not and won't purchase dyed fish. I believe they are telling me the truth. I typically hate these fish due to the deformities same thing with many of the fancy gold fish, but this little guy stuck out to me.

This guy is a really aggressive little bugger so I think he is like you said a really deformed BP leaning more towards the Red Devil side.

This has become part of the backlash of these new genetic "mutants" because there are just too many parts to figure out which part might be having an issue. Case in point, Balloon fish. How can you tell when they are pregnant/ gravid or boated? Flowerhorns, do they take on the characteristics of their mothers or their fathers? What if they start out passive then turn "ugly" and go RAMBO on their tank mates? For me, I'll stick to the less engineered fish. ;) (y)

This has become part of the backlash of these new genetic "mutants" because there are just too many parts to figure out which part might be having an issue. Case in point, Balloon fish. How can you tell when they are pregnant/ gravid or boated? Flowerhorns, do they take on the characteristics of their mothers or their fathers? What if they start out passive then turn "ugly" and go RAMBO on their tank mates? For me, I'll stick to the less engineered fish. ;) (y)

Totally agreed. This is my first mutant fish I typically stick to the more natural looking fish myself this was a one time deal for me. The reason I got this one is it was not so mutated.

Back
Top Bottom