What do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was sold this newt? by a LFS as a paddletail newt under the pretences of being tropical (it was even housed with rams and threadfins @ 78 degrees). Upon getting home and looking a bit more into things, it appears the paddletails are supposed to have smooth skin and be kept in cooler temps, plus he can be aggressive. I currently have him housed with some Kenyi Cichlids which is the coolest tank I have @ 72 degrees, but as soon as I can get a new heater, that tank temp will be raised to 78. As you can see by the picture, this one has rough skin, so is it a different, tropical strain of this species, or do I need to get him his own tank?

Attachments

• image-2029984499.jpg
    image-2029984499.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 184
Well, now I am really perplexed, because the heater is in the tank is now 75 and the newt likes to lay on the heater. I guess I'll be safe when it gets to 78. He does his own thing, ignores the cichlids, they ignore him, and he is eating well, so I guess everything will be ok. (I hope)

Most newts need some time out of the water. do you have a vivaria set up that has a terrestrial area and deeper water? I wouldn't just throw them in a standard chic lid tank. I could not ID your newt, but being an amphibian, it's safe to assume it needs time out of the water. I doubt it will live long without a land base. Try a terrarium/vivarium with running water where it can get out and sit on moist rocks, moss, etc. Good luck. N83259

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom