What do plecos and ottos like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do they require real driftwood? I have 2 fake pieces in my tank. Recommendations would be awesome! But both pieces weren't exactly "cheap" so if I don't have to take them out I probably won't.

Do they require real driftwood? I have 2 fake pieces in my tank. Recommendations would be awesome! But both pieces weren't exactly "cheap" so if I don't have to take them out I probably won't.

Your pleco will enjoy real driftwood. Mine always sucks on all the driftwood in my tank.

Ottos don't need wood, and it depends on what type of pleco you have as to whether they need wood or not. If its a BNP you can leave the fake ones in and just add a small piece of the real thing. It is an absolute requirement for BNP.

Ottos don't need wood, and it depends on what type of pleco you have as to whether they need wood or not. If its a BNP you can leave the fake ones in and just add a small piece of the real thing. It is an absolute requirement for BNP.

Oh ok, we'll I do plan on getting a BNP so I guess I'll add a piece of it in there! Thanks!

This is my tank! I have 3 java ferns and 2 Anubias. But I mainly posted this to show everyone what my pieces looked like and for suggestions as to where I could put the piece of driftwood!

Attachments

• image-484159566.jpg
    image-484159566.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 104
This is my tank! I have 3 java ferns and 2 Anubias. But I mainly posted this to show everyone what my pieces looked like and for suggestions as to where I could put the piece of driftwood!
Great tank you got, and amazing substrate. It's really nice! I would recommend removing the right piece or left on, and replacing it with real driftwood. If not, you could always try and fit it in the middle:) You can also go to a local ''forest'' or a river/lake and find some drift wood there. Make sure to always apply proper cleaning.

Great tank you got, and amazing substrate. It's really nice! I would recommend removing the right piece or left on, and replacing it with real driftwood. If not, you could always try and fit it in the middle:) You can also go to a local ''forest'' or a river/lake and find some drift wood there. Make sure to always apply proper cleaning.

Thank you! I think I'll try to fit it in the middle where the diver is and if I can't then I might replace the right one with it! And I live in Texas, not many forests or rivers here haha!

Also, since I've already started my fishless cycle, would it be alright to put the drift wood in during the cycle or should I wait til it's done?

Also, since I've already started my fishless cycle, would it be alright to put the drift wood in during the cycle or should I wait til it's done?
Usually, real driftwood buffers water so make sure the ph isn't already too high. If not, it should be fine to add it now.

Also, would it be ok to add the drift wood in immediately,or should I wait til the cycle is over?? I started my fishless cycle yesterday

I think it is okay to put it in now. if it is going to leach tannins or grow the temporary mold, better to have that happen now than when stocked with fish.

Back
Top Bottom