What do you all feed your africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for some good food for my africans. I have been using some flakes and pellets and some produce every once in a while. I have had the fish for at least a year and they all look extremely healthy but want to make sure they are getting the stuff they need.

Thanks
Dustin

Zags, what variety of fruits and veggies do you give them? I have given lettus and and cucumbers and they seem to like both (either that or the pleco does :p) I havent tried any fruits yet, I was afraid the acid in them might be bad.

One of the main problems I have with pellets right now is some of my fish are larger than the others. While some can swallow them whole, others cant get them down. Im alwasy afraid the smaller fish are not getting enough to eat. I guess I could get smaller pellets.

Wardley has pellets for the bigger fish, but they have "crumbles" for the smaller fish.

Spirulina flake, Omega One African Cichlid flake, NLS pellets, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp a couple times a week. Microworms for the fry.

Zagz said:
Cukes, zuc, honeydew melons, peas, canteloupe, brocolli, & oranges.

How do you keep the stuff secure like the orange and the peas? Dont want peas floating around the tank :p

I peel the peas and blanche them in the microwave for a few seconds. They sink to the bottom. I use a veggie clip for all the other foods.

I use Omega One's cichlid flakes and veggie flakes, NLS cichlid pellets, and assorted frozen/freeze-dried from time to time.

i'm similar to zagz,
I feed a staple of a generic shrimp/algae/veggie mix pellet,
then fresh vegetables every few days, fresh zuchini I float in the tank, they pick out the inside "flesh" and leave the skin to be pulled out within a few hours.

Thanks for the help guys! Sounds like I was on the right track. Im going to try some of the other things you all feed as well.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom