What do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am beginning to think I am not feeding my fish a very good fish food. I have been using the Tetramin select a food, which has the baby shrimp, granules and Crisps. I am actually looking for something more beneficial and healthier for my fish. So what do you guys recommend? Does anyone make their on food?

I have right now
6 cherry barbs
6 neon tetras
5 Rummy nose tetras
2 bolivian rams
4 soon to be cory cats

I use and swear by New Life Spectrum. I use small pellets and community thera-a. The community pellets are a bit large for some tetras, etc, so you might mix two sizes.

I rotate the food I use frozen cubes of bloodworms, frozen cubes of mosquito larvae, nutrafin max flake food, omega one flake food, Aqueon bottom feeder tablets and every now and then ghost shrimp.

I like to give them different foods, eating the same thing every meal just seems in humane to me.

I use new life spectrum for my betta and hikari micro pellets for my other six pristella tetras

aqua_chem said:
I use and swear by New Life Spectrum. I use small pellets and community thera-a. The community pellets are a bit large for some tetras, etc, so you might mix two sizes.

I guess that I should add that I also feed brine shrimp, blood shrimp, and mysis shrimp on occasion. And once in awhile I'll find a bug and give it to 'em

I feed NLS grow/cichlid formula/thera+a... omega one, kens, and some from another member here that are garlic flakes. I occasionally feed frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp, but I usually don't have the motivation to thaw them.

If you go to the store. Some foods like "cichlid staples" might say there really good but always look atthe back to see if the ingrediants are mixed with meat and veggies

I was looking at NLS the pellets seem a bit big for my tetras. I guess I could crush them up. So whats so great about garlic??

Tifta said:
I was looking at NLS the pellets seem a bit big for my tetras. I guess I could crush them up. So whats so great about garlic??

You can get the small fish pellets. I feed that to my tetras/rasboras and they love it.

Morgie said:
Here are my top picks (in order)
1. NLS
2. Omega one
3. Hikari
All good quality foods :)

I agree with you 100%! But for some odd reason my Tiger Oscar will only eat the brand cichlid gold pellets, he's a very finicky eater! But all my other fish get NLS brand and gobble them right up!! :)

Tigroscr said:
I agree with you 100%! But for some odd reason my Tiger Oscar will only eat the brand cichlid gold pellets, he's a very finicky eater! But all my other fish get NLS brand and gobble them right up!! :)

Sorry I meant he will only eat the Hikari brand cichlid gold pellets!! :)

I use new life spectrum small pellets, omega one flakes, hikari bottom feeder sinking small wafers and hikari small spirulina algae wafers. I also use hikari frozen bloodworms and hikari frozen brine shrimp. I alternate these foods throughout the week.

Oh I also found omega one betta pellets and my bettas love them. But they also get frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. And occasionally some if the nls pellets or the omega one flakes.

And I put a slice of zuchini about once a week in my big tank for the pleco and otos.

ashleynicole said:
Oh I also found omega one betta pellets and my bettas love them. But they also get frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. And occasionally some if the nls pellets or the omega one flakes.

And I put a slice of zuchini about once a week in my big tank for the pleco and otos.

I've seen the frozen blood worms. Do u just thaw and feed it too them? And save the rest or do u freeze them again?

I mostly feed New Life Spectrum .5mm pellets (I have small fish lol). But for variety I'll give them flakes once or twice per week or a frozen food (Daphnia or Shrimp) once or twice per week. For my Corys I drop in either a couple of API Bottom Feeder shrimp pellets or a New Life Spectrum Stable H20 Algae wafer a couple of nights per week after lights out. I also fast them once per week and feed peas once per week.

For the frozen cubes I thaw the cube first in a cup of tank water then spoon some out and put it into the tank. One cube seems like way too much food to me. I did just thaw the whole thing and spoon some out and throw the rest away as I don't feed the frozen cubes too often but I may cut it up next time and just thaw a small amount and save the rest. Don't refreeze after you thaw it though or it can go bad.

Well for the garlic question, it helps their immune system, and does some other good stuff. I have personally switched from Hikari to NLS, due to the ingredients. My fish (convicts), really like it too. I feed them the Thera-A Medium Fish Formula. It's a little too small at 2 mm, but they love it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom