What do you know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkmaune

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I decided to switch my tank from rocks to sand. [Though my husband wasn't pleased at first]

Of course after spending hours on working to get the tank to look perfect and set back up how I wanted it the filter decided to give up on me and stop working :(

So I had to speed to my lfs to buy a new one. Unfortunately it's the same brand but the filter bags were different so I couldn't use the ones that already had established bacteria. :(
I'm getting a horrible case of a bacteria bloom, which I hate.

Is there anyway faster way to get it over this stage??

[Oh yeah my husband said "Once again you were right about the fish tank" That's why he leaves it up to me haha]

Thanks for any help I can get in advance. :fish2:

The pictures below are Before the sand and the 2nd picture is with sand..before the BB outbreak.
I must say I'm overly pleased with the sand and will never go back to gravel

Attachments

• 287797_10150401066114278_635194277_10885159_2050132_o.jpg
    287797_10150401066114278_635194277_10885159_2050132_o.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 339270_2177573492056_1628457118_2125665_7304560_o.jpg
    339270_2177573492056_1628457118_2125665_7304560_o.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 80
I decided to switch my tank from rocks to sand. [Though my husband wasn't pleased at first]

Of course after spending hours on working to get the tank to look perfect and set back up how I wanted it the filter decided to give up on me and stop working :(

So I had to speed to my lfs to buy a new one. Unfortunately it's the same brand but the filter bags were different so I couldn't use the ones that already had established bacteria. :(
I'm getting a horrible case of a bacteria bloom, which I hate.

Is there anyway faster way to get it over this stage??

[Oh yeah my husband said "Once again you were right about the fish tank" That's why he leaves it up to me haha]

Thanks for any help I can get in advance. :fish2:

The pictures below are Before the sand and the 2nd picture is with sand..before the BB outbreak.
I must say I'm overly pleased with the sand and will never go back to gravel
unless you can put seeeded media in the tank, i dont think you can make it faster. what is your stock

i see a what looks to me like a yellow lab,a demasoni,a guppy,a blue gourami,and possibly a silver dollar or something. which arent really compatible

I've done research on my fish & every fish has a different temperment regardless of the species. I've had no problems since I've had all my fish since they were tiny.
Plus my post wasn't for people to come on and bash my stock list, I read enough posts where people do that.
I had a simple question. If I had a problem with my fish and aggression I would have posted a question about that.

I've had the cichlids since they were fry & as hard as it is to believe they are like best friends with the guppy and they don't mess with the other fish. So many people are afraid to have certain fish together because people on this site are like Nazi's about that bc people brain wash them into thinking that some fish will NEVER get along with others when that's a complete lie. Just because Cichlids are known for aggression doesn't mean they are all aggressive when the other fish are like their family.

I love my fish and if I even saw a little tiny bit of aggression towards each other I would separate them in a heartbeat.[I have back up tanks] I've spent way to much time and money in this hobby to have my fish kill each other.

On the REAL topic of this thread. I put the other filter pad in there with the new one but it didn't seem to work and it was crammed so I guess I'm just going to have to wait it out. Darnit.

hello....you can put the old filter media in a mesh and put it near your new filter (dangle it or tie it near your filter) so the beneficial bacteria will go inside the new filter media through the intake tube. that will let your cycle go faster again.

Last edited:
jetajockey: It was getting old, decided not to turn back on after turned off :( But I couldn't let me fishies die so they got an upgrade =]

Daileene: So I should put the "icky" one IN the tank?...Oh in a mesh haha I was going to say that would be pretty gross.
I'll try that, I think I may have mesh from a project a while ago I hope I didn't get rid of it.

That "icky" as you call it is where all of your beneficial bacteria is stored. I am guessing you have some sort of hang on back filter that you replace the media once it starts to look "icky". Those filter pouches or whatever they are called only need to be replaced when they start to fall apart. If they get to gummed up just clean them off in tank water and put them back in.

Other wise you will end up with ammonia spikes and mini cycles because the large amount of you BB was thrown away. Very little of the bacteria live on the plants, decor and substrate, the filter is the main scource.

Oh I know not to change it and I just called it icky because it obviously looks gross.

My original filter decided to poop on out on me so I had to buy a brand new one.
Same brand different filter bags. So I attempted to use the new one with one from the broken filter, and it was still wet and all "icky"
**** filter breaking on me.

But like I said I took everything out water and all to put in sand so I guess I'll just have to sit this through (sadly).

I knew in the back of my head there was no way to speed the process up since I've been through it before...I had way to high of hopes thinking maybe just maybe somebody found a way!! haha.
Anyways thanks for the replies =]

jetajockey: It was getting old, decided not to turn back on after turned off :( But I couldn't let me fishies die so they got an upgrade =]

Daileene: So I should put the "icky" one IN the tank?...Oh in a mesh haha I was going to say that would be pretty gross.
I'll try that, I think I may have mesh from a project a while ago I hope I didn't get rid of it.

Hi. Yes. :-D Put the old filter media "the icky" (I know what you mean) inside the tank beside the intake tube so the beneficial bacteria will go through the tube to your new media. Leave it there in a mesh until your water parameters are back to normal cycle levels. Maybe a month or so. Makes your new media filter establish the good bacteria.

And oh, if you don't have mesh anymore, you can use hairnet, unused pantyhose (I used this when I experimented with my java moss in a decorative rock and it worked, LOL) and other stuff that will hold your old media, stuff that can expose the good bacteria (fabrics might not be good).

Back
Top Bottom