(: what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rkilling1 said:
I think a 29 gallon is way to small for those cichlids. Most articles I have read say to have at least 55 gallons for one and 75 gallons for two or more.

Yeah so have I, but mine are doing fine in a 29 right now. They're not going to be 6 inches very fast. Right now they're only 3 inches and I bought them pretty young in december. I'll transfer them if I ever actually need to.

smileyface9 said:
Yeah so have I, but mine are doing fine in a 29 right now. They're not going to be 6 inches very fast. Right now they're only 3 inches and I bought them pretty young in december. I'll transfer them if I ever actually need to.

*when, not if....JDs will be so cramped, there will be not enough territory for both to claim and fights will ensue. And cichlids are rather fast growers, don't underestimate their growth! Just because you "can" doesn't mean you should...

You have about 5months or so from the 1" mark before the jd's get to a size where they will either kill the con or if two males, one will kill the other. 29 is great for a pair of cons IMO, those 2 jd's need a min. Of 75g. The jd's will grow roughly a inch a month for roughly 7-8 months. Then will slow down until the reach the 1' mark.

If it were me I'd try and trade in the jacks and do a mated pair of cons.

Ohh oops.. For some reason I was thinking of another thread. I don't have JD's. I have Blood Parrot Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom