What do you thinking? 55 and 75 comunity freshwater plented tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
radek said:
I don't use any liquids and tablets. I use only soil with clay under the gravel. :) My tanks is Low Tech (soil, for fed plants root, not too much light (max 0,5W/1 l. of water))

What is your substrate recipe? I think im gonna do dirted tanks from now on.

What is your substrate recipe? I think im gonna do dirted tanks from now on.

I used cheap soil from Lowes and the natural red clay from a shop for artists. I chose the soil without pieces of wood and red clay red because he has a lot of iron. With clay I made a small (1/2 ") balls. Put in the tank 2" -3 "soil mixed with clay. Between soil and the glass is 1 1/2" gap I do not want to see the soil. I placed the screen net on top to separate soil from gravel (this can really help when I will be restart my tank). At the top is 2 "-3" of gravel. I cleaned the filter in a small part of water and added the water to the soil before backfilling it with gravel. In this way, I added to the soil bacteria from my filter. I then set decorations and very slowly pouring water.

What kind of moon lights you go on there? Looks spectacular!

This is cheap LED lights from Ebay. Something like this one : NEW 48 LEDs CAR TRUCK FLEXIBLE LIGHT STRIP BLUE LIGHT Lamps & Bulbs | eBay

Hey. Awesome tanks. Would love to have such planted tanks but I have golds which aren't plant friendly to aquascaping. I'm trying tough.
Question: what's your lighting and light cycle?
You mentioned netting, how do u plant through that easily? I'm assuming u had to cut holes in it as u planted.

Hey. Awesome tanks. Would love to have such planted tanks but I have golds which aren't plant friendly to aquascaping. I'm trying tough.
Question: what's your lighting and light cycle?
You mentioned netting, how do u plant through that easily? I'm assuming u had to cut holes in it as u planted.

Thank You.
In 55g I have 2x 54W T5
In 75g I will be have 4x 54W T5
Lights is working 10 h/day.

I put my plants in a layer of gravel, and the roots themselves overwhelm the soil.

A pair of my Blue German Ram prepares stone for the next spawning.

Attachments

• Picture 338.jpg
    Picture 338.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 108
A pair of my Blue German Ram prepares stone for the next spawning.
Congratulations! I'm glad a few people on here have had success with keeping and breeding those guys. I want one, but I'm getting Laetacara Curviceps, and the two species would be pretty territorial.

Once again I applaud your aquascaping skills, once I get a good amount of experience I'll try to make my tank a wee bit prettier ;) .

radek said:
I used cheap soil from Lowes and the natural red clay from a shop for artists. I chose the soil without pieces of wood and red clay red because he has a lot of iron. With clay I made a small (1/2 ") balls. Put in the tank 2" -3 "soil mixed with clay. Between soil and the glass is 1 1/2" gap I do not want to see the soil. I placed the screen net on top to separate soil from gravel (this can really help when I will be restart my tank). At the top is 2 "-3" of gravel. I cleaned the filter in a small part of water and added the water to the soil before backfilling it with gravel. In this way, I added to the soil bacteria from my filter. I then set decorations and very slowly pouring water.

This is cheap LED lights from Ebay. Something like this one : NEW 48 LEDs CAR TRUCK FLEXIBLE LIGHT STRIP BLUE LIGHT Lamps & Bulbs | eBay

So you just buy those light strips and mount them yourself? Is it easy?

Your tanks are amazing. I'm following this thread and gonna have to go back and read the rest.

Ok just got done reading and I have a few more questions. You said they are low tech tanks so what kind of lights do you for daytime and to grow the plants? Do you have any algae issues?

Also if you use dirt and don't dose any other fertilizer won't you eventually deplete your nutrients and have to redo the substrate? With my sand I can just churn it up and add root tabs whenever I want. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing :D

Congratulations! I'm glad a few people on here have had success with keeping and breeding those guys. I want one, but I'm getting Laetacara Curviceps, and the two species would be pretty territorial.

Once again I applaud your aquascaping skills, once I get a good amount of experience I'll try to make my tank a wee bit prettier ;) .

Thank you. I already have bunch (around 150 pc.) of five month old Blue German Ram. I was sold 60 and still have full tank this fish.

Attachments

• Picture 197.jpg
    Picture 197.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 203.jpg
    Picture 203.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 311.jpg
    Picture 311.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Picture 318.jpg
    Picture 318.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 94
radek said:
Thank you. I already have bunch (around 150 pc.) of five month old Blue German Ram. I was sold 60 and still have full tank this fish.

That is incredible! I hope you don't plan to keep them in there too long.

So you just buy those light strips and mount them yourself? Is it easy?

Your tanks are amazing. I'm following this thread and gonna have to go back and read the rest.

Ok just got done reading and I have a few more questions. You said they are low tech tanks so what kind of lights do you for daytime and to grow the plants? Do you have any algae issues?

Also if you use dirt and don't dose any other fertilizer won't you eventually deplete your nutrients and have to redo the substrate? With my sand I can just churn it up and add root tabs whenever I want. Just curious.

Thanks for sharing :D

Yes, I was buy LED strip, glued to a piece of aluminum with silicon and plugged. This is really simple.

I use daylight 6500K T5 bulbs. I have around 0,6 W/1 liter of water in my tank. On the tap of the soil I have gravel. I don't really cleaning gravel in my tanks. All waste dropping down gets between gravel and fertilizer soil.
During the first week the light was work only four hours a day. In the next few weeks I have added every two, three days, one hour more. This prevented the attack of algae in my tanks.
I hope that my information will help you a little bit.

Few new pictures of my 75 gallons tank.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 93
And few of my 55 gallons :)

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 59
radek said:
Definitely not. I want sale them soon is possible.

Try selling to a local store I just sold my stock of golden, GBR, Bolivian, and golden blues I breed them also I sold about 200 fish good size at 3$ each made 600$ this month but had to got to about 6 stores but they welcome me back every few months because that's all it takes to get another 200 when you have 4 55-75 gallon tanks just for rams a couple selective breeding tanks and about 5-6 20 gallon grow out tanks its money in the bank and I love doing it

The tanks look great! I can't believe the depth appearance on the 55. Really nicely done! How are your rams doing?

The tanks look great! I can't believe the depth appearance on the 55. Really nicely done! How are your rams doing?

Thanks.
My Rams doing good. I was sale them all (150 pieces) to some pet store. I was try sale them individually on Craigslist and after 2 months I was sale only 80 pieces. I was left in my tank 3 pairs of Ram.

Back
Top Bottom