What does a UV sterilizer accomplish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The basic science behind it is that water is passed by a light that emits UV radiation. This radiation kills whats living in the water. What and how much is killed all depends on how strong the lamp is, and how fast the water moves. It's meant to kill algae, parasites, and bacteria. Basically anything living.

As for their track record in an aquarium? I have no clue. I'll let the people who have one speak to that.

I have asked the same question and gotten mixed responses. Some say they are great, some say they do nothing, some say they kill too much.

A UV sterilizer will kill all living organisms in the water column IF it has enough time to work. You need to size the pump to the UV used. If you use separate pumps for water circulation through your system and your UV, and you properly size the pump to to give the correct water flow through the UV, then the UV will help keep algae, parasites, bacteria, etc in check.

If the UV sterilizers has too much water flowing through it not much of anything will happen other than the waste of electricity used for turning it on.

Some people swear by them, some at them. I would suggest reading UV Sterilizers and Their Use in Aquaria in the Articles section of this forum.

Back
Top Bottom