what does "Brackish" mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astrocella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
nixweiss.gif

Brackish is a type of tank that is between saltwater and freshwater.

haha

I just looked up the word BRACKISH in my electronic Merriam and webster dictionary and I get the definition of

somewhat salty

haha. Not much help is it ? :( :(

hm.

ok :lol:

so like a salt tank.. but on the weak side eh

gotcha :D but it seems odd.. maybe i'm a moron, but does that mean that there are lakes and ponds in this world with just a smidgen of salt in them? :lol: or is this a man made creation..
nixweiss.gif

so where do babies come from? :D

thanks for lernin me,
astrocella

At the mouth of a river, where it meets the ocean, the SW and the FW from the river mix. This is considered brackish water. There are some species of fish that are specific to that area, and are not found in either straight FW or SW.

so where do babies come from? :D

Don't be silly, everyone knows the stork brings babies :wink:

brackish water

Can't we find brackish water inland, too? We can find salt mines inland so I suppose ponds or lakes near these places are salted...

Re: brackish water

nikki said:
Can't we find brackish water inland, too? We can find salt mines inland so I suppose ponds or lakes near these places are salted...

I'm sure you can :D Salt Lake in Utah springs to mind, not sure if it is brackish or full blown salt, but I do know that 90% of the brine shrimp eggs on the market are harvested from Salt Lake. The river mouth was just the most common example I could come up with :oops:

All you "inlanders" are funny. I live on the beautiful shores of the Chesapeake Bay, everybody here knows what Brackish means!

I visit the Outer Banx of NC a lot and all the lakes and ponds are brackish. Ill have to get some pics of the minnows there.

Back
Top Bottom