what does everyone do for work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
High School Science Teacher/Working on Masters here and there to become Junior College Science Teacher :D

no plans for the PH.D at this time but you never know ;)

I'm a mechanical engineer at a medium sized engineering firm in Kansas City. I do work mainly for the power industry. We do stuff on Coal, Gas, and Nuclear projects (I work primarily in Nuclear).

JRagg said:
I'm a mechanical engineer at a medium sized engineering firm in Kansas City. I do work mainly for the power industry. We do stuff on Coal, Gas, and Nuclear projects (I work primarily in Nuclear).

im a computer engineer for a biometrics company. we do electronic fingerprint systems and fingerprint matching. JRagg, we have a system at Johnson County Sheriff's office in Olathe :) Ive been there!

godzilla said:
JRagg said:

im a computer engineer for a biometrics company. we do electronic fingerprint systems and fingerprint matching. JRagg, we have a system at Johnson County Sheriff's office in Olathe :) Ive been there!

I'm not in their database, I swear!

My husband and I both wait tables. I will be starting college in the fall (for interior designing)

My husband just found out that the job he wanted in corporate just opened up, so he will be applying for that within the next few days (come on, momma needs a new fish tank :D )

I am currently going to school to become a pharmacist. When I am not in class, I work for a company at the airport here in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I detail corporate aircraft, along with "fractional share jets" that are based at the company.

It's cool work because I get to see some pretty cool people. Since I started working there in March of '05 I have seen: Colin Powell, Tony Stewart, Bono, and most recently Bob Seger.
I didn't get a chance to see: Aerosmith, the Detroit Pistons, Stevie Nixx (spelling?), Jerry Seinfeld, Shawn Hannity (is that the right name?), as I was busy working. There have been others but I forget LOL.

ryanp said:
Hemmer- You're in Iowa too?! That's cool.

This thread is kind of fun. I'm currently a college student studying mechanical engineering, but will be graduating in May. I'll be going to work for Lockheed Martin Space Systems doing nondestructive testing. I still need to figure out how I'm going to transport my 55g + fish from Iowa to Colorado.

ya im right outside of des moines. where in iowa are you at??
and id love to move to colorado and live out by the mountains, either that or minnesota. hmmmmmmm great snowboardiing and fishing places. dont worry i catch and release! lol.

This is fun. I'm a University (geography) student and I work in aviation at a flight training unit (also working on commercial pilot's license).

shay, I always told myself one day I wanted to be a commercial airline pilot (I have a family friend who is one now). Is that really detailed and extensive and hard as heck to get into? I basically heard that it takes years and years and years of training to get to fly your first plane.

bs, I know a lot of kids in pharmacy school. All I gotta say is good luck. I could never do it... Me and Organic Chemistry do NOT get along at all. :)

I work in the family business Nashville Wraps Website we are one of the nations largest suppliers of packaging products and things like ribbon, tissue, giftpaper, etc. So needless to say we just had the biggest part of the season :)

I also day trade and am a fan of small, local businesses that I have a few investments in :)

And, I sell rocks. Seriously.

Ok, so I don't sell rocks, but I think whoever came up with bottled water is probably as rich as Bill Gates by now.

Fun Thread... :)
I am a Stay at home mom, a web master for several local businesses, which brings me some spending cash which is currently all going towards planted tank stuff...lol.

I also do freelance writing, and turn home vidoeos and photo albums into amazing movies with meaningful soundtracks. This is actually getting bigger than my web business....who knew a fun hobby could do that!? So I guess I have to update my own site now...lol.

I could do more but you can only squeeze in so much after the kids arein bed and still make time for sleep! :) Being a Gemini I get bored easily so I have tried a ton of different carreers in the past....accountant, admin assistant, hr administrator, billing clerk, receptionist, collections rep, dreaded telemarketer for one of those long distance companies...lol that one lasted about a week and a half! lol

The ones that keep me interested the longest are the ones that let me use my artistic skills and creative desires to excel. That is why I do so much better as my OWN boss...lol.

Of course I will have three very demanding bosses for the next 18 years I am sure (their names are Nathan 7, Michael 3, and Alexis almost 2... hee hee) :)

Dturtles: it is true. Usually the limiting factor for most people is cost. It is pretty easy to run up some very significant debt in a very short time during training. Then you don't make any decent money until you have SEVERAL years of experience. The bottom line is that the industry is very turbulent (bad pun) and competitive. Here in Canada it is only this year that has finally seen some recovery since 9/11. There were very few jobs and poorly paid pilots for a long time. But, for those who really want it, and stick with it there are amazing opportunities. If you are interested, PM me, I would be happy to tell you all I know.

I'll give this a shot.

I'm a cell and molecular biologist working in R&D for a large biopharm company on the east coast. My current job deals with a lot of troubleshooting, which helps in the discussions (and arguments :) ) I tend to get involved in the FW section of the site.

I have to stay kind of vague with my work. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...........with boredom! :wink:

I dabble in cars and electronics and have a 6-month old, so work and hobby have taken a backseat. Daughter's my avatar....

Cool jobs out there!!

Mine sucks, but it's work. I'm an Administrative Assistant for my area's Metropolitan Planning Organization or 'MPO'. We are a federally mandated agency (for areas with populations in excess of 50,000) that works with the state and federal transportation departments in keeping all the transporation plans, both short range and long range. It is through us that roads get planned and funded. We also keep track of maps and GIS info through TransCAD and ArcView and we keep traffic counts for all the areas of the MPO and the travel demand model for forcasting traffic.

I started college as a pharmacy major. I SO hear ya on that Organic Chemistry issue....I never did pass it myself (took it twice). I kinda got burnt out on school and quit. My biggest regret. One day, I would like to go back and get my Med Tech degree (what I changed to before quitting) or a degree in clinical or forensic psychology.

I'm a Business Application Developer for Blue Cross and Blue Shield. For the past 5 years I have been here as a Visual Basic Client/Server developer, but now am a Java/Web developer working on a multi-billion dollar re-write of the application I used to support. :)

Currently in college for GIS/tourism geography.

Working part time at a petco...constantly lecturing. But making a difference i hope.

Back
Top Bottom