What filter should I get??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogerrabbit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a 90 gal tank this weekend instead of a 75. For only 15-20$$ more I will get the bigger one.

One question is what brand and style of filter should I purchase for this size of tank. Is there any brand out there that I should stay away from?

Thanks, Roger Rabbit

I assume this is FW set-up. I like canister filters, but in your case with that size tank I would recommend a combination of some type of canister(I use the magnum 350 everyone has their preference) and a HOB filter with biological filtration. You could also go with a couple canisters and add bio wheels for your biological filtration.

I would avoid an undergravel system as IMO they limit your options down the road.

HTH,

I use a combination of a 2213 eheim cannister and a 330 bio wheel HOB on my bigger tanks. Both are easy to clean and are quiet. I would also reccomend 2 heaters on this tank, probably a 200 and a 300 watt. You get better heat distribution and have some insurance if one fails. Equipment is much cheaper on line than at stores. Big Als, Foster& Smith are good. Even Petco on line is 30 to 50 % cheaper than their stores. Good Luck. :D

Personanly i like HOB Filter i would reccomed 2 Emporeror 400 Filters great filter and great biological chemical and mechanical filtration.

JMHO

i actually have a penguin 170 biowheel and a magnum 350 HOB cannister filter with a bio wheel which is really nice ... i personally prefer the eheim cannister filters. They don't move water super fast but in my opinion they produce a higher then average water quality.

those are the 3 filters i have on my 50 gallon (so you can imagine the filteration i get! ... I am just loving how clean my water is!)

I'd stick with canister filters only. Eheim's are nice, but way over priced for the added quietness of them...not worth it to me.
I'll suggest two Rena Filstar XP2 canisters.

Back
Top Bottom