What fish can I get that will move around the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gallon long lightly planted tank. I am cycled as my Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrates are 10. I have four guppies, two red wag platies and just added a school of six neon tetras today. The only fish I hardly ever see are the guppies. The red wag platies stay hidden most of the time. I do see them first thing in the morning and they sometimes come out later in the evening, but not for long. Now with the new additions of the six neon tetras they stay together ofcourse, but they stay behind a rock. So my question is I plan to stock with 12 more fish over the next couple of months. What would work with what I have, that is colorful, but more importantly peaceful and would move around the tank?

img_2317910_0_9f608a32744333bac999da453eaa9bf5.jpg

I agree. At least double it. They are small and don't produce much waste so you'll have plenty if room for more fish later. They do tend to hang out around plants a lot. That's normal. Being new they will be extra shy.

If the fish are newly added don't be concerned as new additions often are shy. If they aren't new additions you need to take a harder look at your tank. What are you readings for ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If planted do you have alot of plants or few? Do you have high or low light?

I agree. At least double it. They are small and don't produce much waste so you'll have plenty if room for more fish later. They do tend to hang out around plants a lot. That's normal. Being new they will be extra shy.

wow, that will work. I just figured I did not want to add too many of one kind so I would have room for variety as I continue to stock. So what would 12 neon tetras be equivalent to in regards to a bioload? I am trying to go with the one inch per gallon rule of thumb. I have 60 gallons, minus 20% for displacement from my substrate, driftwood and rocks plus plants.

Any other suggestions other than doubling my neon tetras. I am only going to add the tetras for now, will wait a couple of weeks to add more.

If the fish are newly added don't be concerned as new additions often are shy. If they aren't new additions you need to take a harder look at your tank. What are you readings for ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If planted do you have alot of plants or few? Do you have high or low light?

Low light, lightly planted with anubias and java ferns.

PH. 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

The guppies all act just fine. And just as I am typing this the neons are moving around now, but I am glad I asked because I would like to add more of those guys.

Anyway, so Rivercats, do you think there could be something wrong with my red wag platies? I do suspect something is wrong with my smaller red wag as it has a bulge on each of its sides. The folks at petsmart said it may be pregnant. They said since the other fish in the tank are not showing the same signs it is unlikely that it is due to anything parasitic. I will try to get a picture when it comes back out. The platies are very skittish.

wow, that will work. I just figured I did not want to add too many of one kind so I would have room for variety as I continue to stock. So what would 12 neon tetras be equivalent to in regards to a bioload? I am trying to go with the one inch per gallon rule of thumb. I have 60 gallons, minus 20% for displacement from my substrate, driftwood and rocks plus plants. Any other suggestions other than doubling my neon tetras. I am only going to add the tetras for now, will wait a couple of weeks to add more.
The inch per gallon rule should be thrown out the window IMHO. It doesn't work very well when it comes to stocking. 60 gallons is a decent sized tank so you have plenty of other options when it comes to stock. What other fish are you thinking of?

wow, that will work. I just figured I did not want to add too many of one kind so I would have room for variety as I continue to stock. So what would 12 neon tetras be equivalent to in regards to a bioload? I am trying to go with the one inch per gallon rule of thumb. I have 60 gallons, minus 20% for displacement from my substrate, driftwood and rocks plus plants.

Any other suggestions other than doubling my neon tetras. I am only going to add the tetras for now, will wait a couple of weeks to add more.

The inch per gallon is not the way to go any more. As for more fish, depending on your substrate, Cory catfish will add excitement to the bottom of the tank.

A picture of the platies will be good so we can see the sex. I've never kept shy platies before so I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm wondering if you put in a couple larger plants if that will make them feel more secure and also perhaps more fish swimming around might help also..

The inch per gallon rule should be thrown out the window IMHO. It doesn't work very well when it comes to stocking. 60 gallons is a decent sized tank so you have plenty of other options when it comes to stock. What other fish are you thinking of?

well, I am really not sure. I have had some recommendations, but a guy at a local pet store told me the ones I was considering were fin nippers. I don't remember all of the ones now, but some were barbs and some kind of tetra etc.

I would not mind some rasboras, would cardinal tetras be ok? What would you recommend? Keep in mind I want them peaceful. No tendency to be aggressive whatsoever. I am already ocd about the happiness of my fish lol.

Harlequin rasboras are quite peaceful - you could add at least 6, and a shoal of 10 makes them feel secure.

You may also want to add some floating stem plants. In addition to helping with nitrates, they provide cover for some of the shier fish, like the neons or any newly added fish.

A picture of the platies will be good so we can see the sex. I've never kept shy platies before so I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm wondering if you put in a couple larger plants if that will make them feel more secure and also perhaps more fish swimming around might help also..

Yeah, I plan to add more, but I am paranoid that I will add too fast given I am just now cycled. Plus I still do not fully trust my cycle because I basically did it in a week. I added my first fish last wednesday, three guppies along with a bottle of tetra safestart (bacteria in a bottle). The next day I added the platies, the next day an extra guppy. Did two 10% pwc's on Saturday. Ammonia got up to .25 and pretty much stayed there until Wednesday when everything was zero except Nitrates which were 20. I did a pwc and nitrates still read around 10. Zero nitrates in my tap. So I assume I am cycled, but still being very careful. I am very antsy though about wanting to add more fish. Especially with the sale going on at petsmart. They have the neon tetras on sale for $1 each.

I tried to get a photo of the platies, but they ran off when they saw me walking up. I did take a photo of my tank though.

img_2317977_0_9f608a32744333bac999da453eaa9bf5.jpg

well, I am really not sure. I have had some recommendations, but a guy at a local pet store told me the ones I was considering were fin nippers. I don't remember all of the ones now, but some were barbs and some kind of tetra etc.

I would not mind some rasboras, would cardinal tetras be ok? What would you recommend? Keep in mind I want them peaceful. No tendency to be aggressive whatsoever. I am already ocd about the happiness of my fish lol.

As mentioned harlequin rasboras are a good choice. Cardinals would work. Rummynose, lemon and ember are nice peaceful tetras that look stunning in large schools. There are bottom dwellers such as cories or kuhli loaches. You could add a school of otos once the tanks mature or a bristlenose pleco.

As mentioned harlequin rasboras are a good choice. Cardinals would work. Rummynose, lemon and ember are nice peaceful tetras that look stunning in large schools. There are bottom dwellers such as cories or kuhli loaches. You could add a school of otos once the tanks mature or a bristlenose pleco.

Yes, the otocinclus are on sale at Petsmart for $1 each as well. I got a rain check for them. How many otocinclus do you recommend once the tank has been established another month?

I would be hesitant to add any until the tank is at least 6 months old. Many of them are wild caught and don't take to man made food very well. Because of this its a good idea to have a good supply of algae for them to graze on. I would think a planted 60g could easily support 5 or 6 otos.

I tried to get a photo of the platies, but they ran off when they saw me walking up. I did take a photo of my tank though.

I like the clean look of your tank. With your black sand, albino cories would stand out nicely. Blackskirt tetras are good fish to consider.

I would be hesitant to add any until the tank is at least 6 months old. Many of them are wild caught and don't take to man made food very well. Because of this its a good idea to have a good supply of algae for them to graze on. I would think a planted 60g could easily support 5 or 6 otos.

Oh wow, sure thing. I will wait on the otos.

Back
Top Bottom