What Fish Should I Get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azabujuban

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, all. I just recently completed setting up my ten gallon tank a few weeks ago and currently have three red cherry shrimp inside the tank. It is heavily planted with hornwort and I have two pieces of driftwood with Java moss. There are also a few snails that came along with the plants in the tank.

I am debating on which fish to introduce. Currently I have a guppy, but will probably remove it once I get new fish.

I am considering getting five peppered corydoras or five ember tetras to add to the tank but I am not sure which would be better to introduce first. The fish selection at my local store in Japan is very limited. Other options include neon tetras, lemon tetras, various tetras, ottos, and some other small fish.

Would adding a loach to this tank be workable given its size and the shrimp?

Thanks

Um, I had a RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) colony of about 100+ going at one point, and the only living invert or fish that did t touch them were snails. There are a few peaceful fish out there, but if you really like your RCS, stick with a species-only tank, IMO

Neon tetras are generally a safe bet with shrimp as well as Cory cats. Loaches however are a no go and bettas are really hit or miss with them.

IME generally is a strong word. I just personally don't like risk things on account that they are "generally" safe.

To see if a fish is safe with the shrimp you really have to look at its size. There is no way a full grown neon tetra can eat a full grown shrimp. It's just not gonna happen. The shrimp are too big and the fish's mouths are too small. They will however eat the occasional baby which is going to be true for every fish in existence. The only safe fish to keep with shrimp is an oto cat.

Look at things in a different light. RCS are going to have up to around 20 babies at a time. It's normal to expect to lose about half of each brood through predation and natural causes. When I started my 29g tank I had a full tank with fish that actively hunted my shrimp. While I started with 11 shrimp about 50/50 males to females I tore it down to upgrade to a larger tank two months later and pulled over 40 shrimp out of the smaller tank. Around 2 months after that I had well over 100. It's really not something to worry about to lose a baby shrimp or two as long as the adults are surviving. They breed soo fast it's ridiculous.

And to that I agree. Otos are good, but neon tetras have mouths made for eating. So yes, it is possible to have a healthy colony coexisting with fish, but why take any risk at all? Shrimp are fantastic in themselves!

And to that I agree. Otos are good, but neon tetras have mouths made for eating. So yes, it is possible to have a healthy colony coexisting with fish, but why take any risk at all? Shrimp are fantastic in themselves!

Hehe they are and I have to skip out on a lot of fish I like for just that reason! But the vast majority of people aren't happy with just some shrimp for their tanks.

Hehe they are and I have to skip out on a lot of fish I like for just that reason! But the vast majority of people aren't happy with just some shrimp for their tanks.

I know, just throwing in my opinion. Shrimp come with plenty of cons, and skirting disaster is just not in my book haha. But by all means, get some tetras or something. I might just be overparanoid.

Back
Top Bottom