What is going on????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It may be that the fish store were your getting the fish from is bad. I know a while back every fish that I purchased from a certain lfs kept dying. Your situation sounds like mine back then.

I think you're right. I will not be getting anymore fish from there anymore.

Get a bucket if tank water, add the full dose and dissolve. Add 1/4 of the solution every 6-12 hours. Just tip it in front of an area of high flow so it's distributed quickly.

Do I just dose one time After all the salt water is gone?

Bags101 said:
Do I just dose one time After all the salt water is gone?

I'm sorry. What do you mean?
When you do a water change it will remove salt so you have to replace what's been removed. If you do a 50% water change (of the whole volume of water including the sump) you have to replace half if the salt with the new water.

How are they all going?

I'm sorry. What do you mean?
When you do a water change it will remove salt so you have to replace what's been removed. If you do a 50% water change (of the whole volume of water including the sump) you have to replace half if the salt with the new water.

How are they all going?
Not very well. I think the other 2 are catching whatever it is in there. They are laying at the bottom of the tank breathing really fast..

mumma, would slowly increasing the temperature of the tank water assist too?

if it is some sort of disease/infection, could it benefit the fish by speeding up the process if they can handle it? increasing the temp to 30 degrees if not already?

I have the temp up to 80 now. Should I go a little bit higher?

I've gone as high as 86 for three weeks and the fish are fine afterwards. Dude!? Are you sure there's no ammo or nitrite in your tank? The descriptions you give sound exactly like poisoning from ammo or nitrite spikes especially if you don't see any signs of some sort of infections. Maybe lack of oxygen.

^^^ I agree double check everything.
Sometimes increasing the temperature does the exact opposite. If you are dealing with a bacterial infection (sounding more and more likely) increasing the temp increases the multiplication rate of the bacterial infection and infects and kills fish faster. I would actually recommend decreasing the temperature to 72-74F while continuing with water changes and salt treatment. Increase the surface agitation if you haven't already.
Any physical signs showing on the fish yet?
Red gills? Sores around gills or mouth? White film, slime or fuzz?

^^^ I agree double check everything.
Sometimes increasing the temperature does the exact opposite. If you are dealing with a bacterial infection (sounding more and more likely) increasing the temp increases the multiplication rate of the bacterial infection and infects and kills fish faster. I would actually recommend decreasing the temperature to 72-74F while continuing with water changes and salt treatment. Increase the surface agitation if you haven't already.
Any physical signs showing on the fish yet?
Red gills? Sores around gills or mouth? White film, slime or fuzz?
They did have have red gills, but they had them when I bought them. I am running a wet dry system so i dont see how there could not be enough oxygen. My params are the same 0 AMM. 0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrate. My plants are dying as well I m not sure what it is... all the shrimp and the snails are fine. It is only the fish that are dyingI also am running a rio 2500 that tears up the tank at the top and blows everything at the bottom so I know there is a lot of surface Agg...

I'm not seeing this mentioned in the thread so I'll ask (even if it's a fairly basic question).

You said that the tank was originally saltwater. When you changed over from saltwater to freshwater, did you also make sure to get a new test kit? Because if you're still using a saltwater test kit on a freshwater aquarium, you may be getting bad readings.

I'd also recommend taking a fresh sample to a LFS and having it tested. A second opinion never hurts and may just find your problem.

Dang! I think they were suffering from poisoning from the store and you got stuck with hospitalizing them. I'm almost positive that there's nothing wrong your tank.
As for your plants I'm guessing there're new and there're going through acclimation so your gonna have some leaves die but they will bounce back. The temp swings and the salt your adding probably isn't helping your plants though.

I'm not seeing this mentioned in the thread so I'll ask (even if it's a fairly basic question).

You said that the tank was originally saltwater. When you changed over from saltwater to freshwater, did you also make sure to get a new test kit? Because if you're still using a saltwater test kit on a freshwater aquarium, you may be getting bad readings.

I'd also recommend taking a fresh sample to a LFS and having it tested. A second opinion never hurts and may just find your problem.

It is a freshwater API Master Test kit. The guy before me had the tank as a saltwater tank. I cycled the tank over a month ago and since then my readings have been perfect. The fish don’t show any signs that I can see except they are swimming around one minute then the next minute they are at the bottom of the tank breathing fast and in the morning they are dead. Whatever it is it is spreading to each fish…

Dang! I think they were suffering from poisoning from the store and you got stuck with hospitalizing them. I'm almost positive that there's nothing wrong your tank.
As for your plants I'm guessing there're new and there're going through acclimation so your gonna have some leaves die but they will bounce back. The temp swings and the salt your adding probably isn't helping your plants though.

I think you are right maybe they were sick when I bought them home..
I thought that fish could recover from ammonia poising?

sorry (re increasing temperature), i figured it could have helped with increasing oxygen too - but since i'm no professional, it's probably best to keep my suggestions to a minimum as i'm not the most knowledgeable here.

good luck with it mate, it sounds like a bit of a pickle. hope we can find a solution and get them all better for you

sorry (re increasing temperature), i figured it could have helped with increasing oxygen too - but since i'm no professional, it's probably best to keep my suggestions to a minimum as i'm not the most knowledgeable here.

good luck with it mate, it sounds like a bit of a pickle. hope we can find a solution and get them all better for you

Thanks man. Hopefully everything will turn out ok...

I think you are right maybe they were sick when I bought them home..
I thought that fish could recover from ammonia poising?

They can but we don't know how long they've been suffering and even if your tanks params are good they are still gonna have to get accustomed to their new environment. The whole thing may be just too much stress for them.
Heres something you could try a 30min fish bath with Methylene Blue, I haven't had to do this myself but I've heard that it can work. First go out and get some Methylene Blue if you can you'll also need a dropper. If you have a couple of containers or five gallon buckets fill it with a couple of galllons of tank water, put a fish or two in them, add 10 drops of Methylene Blue per gallon to the container/buckets (I going off by what it says on the back of my methylene blue bottle yours may be different). Your suppose to use salt also in this bath but since youve already been adding salt to your tank there's no need. After your done add the fish back to your tank but DO NOT put the water with the methylene blue back into your tank it will kill your plants and bacteria.
This bath should take care of any fungal, bacterial, parasite infection, and ammonia poisoning.

They can but we don't know how long they've been suffering and even if your tanks params are good they are still gonna have to get accustomed to their new environment. The whole thing may be just too much stress for them.
Heres something you could try a 30min fish bath with Methylene Blue, I haven't had to do this myself but I've heard that it can work. First go out and get some Methylene Blue if you can you'll also need a dropper. If you have a couple of containers or five gallon buckets fill it with a couple of galllons of tank water, put a fish or two in them, add 10 drops of Methylene Blue per gallon to the container/buckets (I going off by what it says on the back of my methylene blue bottle yours may be different). Your suppose to use salt also in this bath but since youve already been adding salt to your tank there's no need. After your done add the fish back to your tank but DO NOT put the water with the methylene blue back into your tank it will kill your plants and bacteria.

Where would you find this Methylene Blue stuff at?
This bath should take care of any fungal, bacterial, parasite infection, and ammonia poisoning.

Bags101 said:

Sometimes at LFS or online. For awhile I was searching for it at several different stores but they didn't keep a lot of it in stock. Then one store finally got some in and when I went to pick it up there was only one bottle left. I keep it just in case of an emergency. I'm not saying the fish bath is a must or that its a guarantee but it would seem like your running out of options to save your fish. I think its worth a shot. How many fish are left?

Back
Top Bottom