What is meant by freshwater? without sounding dumb i dont know. Is it coldwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have goldfish they are coldwater fish , I know this but what is freshwater?
I have heard of tropical fish That's warmer water
Marine fish that's salt water.

So anyone what to enlighten me. What is meant by Freshwater.

Freshwater is water you drink, comes out of the faucet, rain water, water in ponds, most rivers.

Brackish water is the water in between fresh water and the ocean..it is a mixture of the two. It has a lower concentration of salt as opposed to the ocean.

Ocean or marine environment is salt water.

These are general terms.

Most tropical fish in aquariums come from fish found in tropical environments around the world, including both freshwater and salt water species. Most like temperature of 74 to 80 degrees...but it really depends on the species

hope this helps

Fresh water is generally characterized by having low concentrations of dissolved salts and other total dissolved solids.

Fresh water can be defined as water with less than 500 parts per million (ppm) of dissolved salts.

Water salinity based on dissolved salts:

Fresh water < 0.05%
Brackish water 0.05–3%
Saline water 3–5%
Brine > 5%

Hello em...
It depends on the amount of dissolved salt in the water. Fresh water has less than 1 part salt in every 1 million parts. That's not much.

B

Back
Top Bottom