What is my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ell-may

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A family member recently gave me 2 fish as they were getting rid of their tank however they can not remember what type of fish they are, I have tried researching their characteristics but I cannot find them anywhere. These fish are around 10/15cm long and are gold, they have large black eyes that are outlined with a red ring, they also have black patterning and spots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 97
Ummm... I can't really see form the picture but it does look like a molly and... Rainbow fish if you can get a better close up picture it will really help

I will try and get another photo, they always hide in the back or in the plants and only come out for food but even then they are very swift and rush back into hiding very fast after getting some food

Yes it's definitely them! Thank you ��

Andy has DECADES of experience in this.
The color and characteristic dark patch just before the caudal fin are two big clues.

How could you identify them [emoji23][emoji23] I need glasses!!!

Andy has DECADES of experience in this.
The color and characteristic dark patch just before the caudal fin are two big clues.

Yeah, what Fresh said. ;) :lol: Actually, one of the clues was the color. There really aren't many fish that are just that color. But I have also bred thousands of them so I've seen many of them. (y) Sadly, I don't see them offered as much today as before. They are a great barb especially in a school. (y)

I just haven't seen many of them in my life. The LFS doesn't carry them often there just not that popular now a days...

Back
Top Bottom