What is my Pleco telling me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 7 inch Plecostomus in a small aquarium with guppies. He has been fed Hikari alage wafers (one/day), all the algae he could find in the tank (not much), and most of a small zucchini every week or two. He did not seem thin, nor did he seem particularly in a hurry when food hit the bottom near him.

Yesterday I moved my goldfish to a larger tank, leaving behind a 18 gallon long tank with plenty of algae--I had let it go a bit anticipating the pleco arrival. I did a big water change, cleaned up the place, but left all of the algae. You could not see through any of the glass!

Pleco had eaten most of a zucchini piece the day before, so I did not expect much action on the algae last night, his first in the new tank. This morning I turn on the lights and the tank is essentially algae-free. He ate it all in one night.

So the question. Is it possible I am way underfeeding him, was he just celebrating his first true meal of algae in a while, or what?

If he is 7" I would give him 2 algae wafers per day and zucchini a couple times a week. Do you know if he is a common pleco?

I do two or three algae wafers before lights out for mine Although if he's not fast to act the cories and loaches steal some...hes around 7-8 inches and VERY healthy

plecos need more to their diet then just algae waffers. there are many of them that are not even algae eaters.

prob says feed me and move me to a bigger tank.

This one looks to be a common pleco, but I am not sure. I am sure that he is an algae eater. I will step up the feeding a bit, and make some algae-on-rock to feed him, as he seems to like algae.

The tank he is in now has a much bigger footprint than the tank he was in, and given his tendency to stay on the bottom, mostly hanging out in place--which he has done since he was a rescued 1.5 incher--it seems like it is an adequate space form him. If I had a bigger tank I would use it, but he is where he is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom