What is the most interactive fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLfreshhhhwater

Aquarium Advice Activist
Some people think fish are boring, what do you believe is the most interactive freshwater fish?

I would say most cichlids. Africans are my favorite when it comes to being interactive all around. Other than cichlids, rainbows.

Definitely Oscars they are the most interactive aquarium fish out there IMO. 2 others that are very interactive are fire eels and black ghost knifes but both of them get massive.

Id say bettas as you can train them. My betta flares on command and comes whenever i show her my finger. She goes through hoops too! A close second would be golden wonder killies or guppies. Both so much fun and the killy likes to attack my finger :)

Out of the fish I keep, my bosemani rainbows are very active, my dwarf gouramis eat bloodworms out of my hands which is cool. A big 8+ school of tiger barbs are very fun to watch. They form a hyarchial system with a leader and it is very cool. They are also aggressive eaters. They look like a group of sharks tearing apart a bunch of bloodworms together. It seems all my tetras are pretty active and follow me as I walk passed the aquarium. As for cichlids, I'm rather new to keeping cichlids. I have a jack Dempsey and a green terror. Both are quite young still and pretty timid, but I've seen videos of people reaching in and petting 10 inch red devil cichlids like a puppy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My managuense cichlids were great. I'd walk by their tank, both would come to the glass and greet me, the male loved playing with a golf ball. The female would let me pet her.

My syno cats are also very interactive. When I'm at the tank, they all come to the front and press their bellies to the glass so I can "rub" them. This is because they must have belly rubs when I'm working in the tank. They all roll over onto their backs and bump my fingers until I gently rub their bellies.

My managuense cichlids were great. I'd walk by their tank, both would come to the glass and greet me, the male loved playing with a golf ball. The female would let me pet her.

My syno cats are also very interactive. When I'm at the tank, they all come to the front and press their bellies to the glass so I can "rub" them. This is because they must have belly rubs when I'm working in the tank. They all roll over onto their backs and bump my fingers until I gently rub their bellies.

LoL thats hillarious!

Ropefish, I hand feed mine. Plus anytime I stick my hand in the tank they start weaving in and out of my fingers. If I make an okay symbol with my fingers they'll start swimming through it.

Long time bichir residents can become quite interactive. However the most interactive fish are the SA cichlids. My tiger barbs also have loads of personality and they love it when I come to the tank! They greet and beg me for food and the way they interact and play with each other is awesome!

Most CA cichlids from the Amphilophus/Parachromis genus (Midas, Red Devil, Jag, etc)

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Totally forgot about oscars, these guys will dance for food! Sometimes I wonder if what we think is interactive, is just them wanting food.

That is extremely cute!

I pretend to give my goldfish a pat through the glass, and they'll stop and watch. They are very interactive - they'll follow me around a room in their tank, stare at what I'm doing, and get very excited at meal times. I loves them :)

All of mine are interactive except my big jacks. But like someone said I think it's just them wanting food lol. I have a tank with parrots and silver dollars and convicts they play all the time very entertaining to watch, until they see me and then they want food.

My ram is always front and center dancing for food, sane with my female gardneri killi. My apisto's are pretty keen on the lid opening too, female literally gets a her black line and flares up when the bloodworms hit the water, the best!

im so scared to touch my fish but my Cory's always find a way to get into my hands when im rearranging my tank around....they just sit in my palm until i freak out....

Back
Top Bottom