What is the one fish you REGRETTED buying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superpeytonm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really just want to see what fish people regretted buying. If you could explain why it could help some people never to make the mistake that you made.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Australian rainbows. I had a group of 3. I know a little on the small side but I had planned on adding more. Every where I read was "great community fish" and other accolades for them. Well... Mine were soooo food aggressive that I had to over feed to get enough past them to fish below. Didn't matter what type either- pellets, tabs, flakes, dried stuff, thawed frozen. They are everything. Definitely food aggressive. And then they started getting mean (the male especially) and chasing everyone else around. I finally rehomed them to a friend with others in a rainbow only tank.

And their tank mates aren't slow or bad eaters either. Some really piggy serpae tetras, denison barbs, and baby clown loaches. As soon as I got rid of them everyone in the tank was less stressed and the tetras stopped hiding. They were also tearing up my plants. They were still babies when I got them and they were in a 55 so not too small for them and especially not once we upgrade to the 150 but like a week after I got them I hated them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine was my gold nugget Pleco. Looked pretty in the store. Spent more money on it then any fish. Never left a cave so never saw it. Never saw it move even when lights were off. Pooped a lot so limited other shocking. Died in about 7 mos.

I purchased 6 Giant Danios for a 55g. They were like a bunch of sugar fed kids. They tore my tank up. Also all my other fish would not eat.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Common pleco lol. A few years ago, I got my first pleco (this was when I only had a 20 gallon tank). It died after a couple of months, and so I replaced it. And again, and again, and again... :facepalm:.

A couple years later, I decided to get really into the hobby, and now I know common plecos need 70 gallon tanks lol. So sorry to all the plecos I killed :(

I really like my platy, but I don't at the same time. They take up so much stocking percent of my tank.... And they're so little I feel like it's a waste of space. I've had my male, bought two females. One female stuck herself in the bottom of a plant behind driftwood and died. I had noticed she was missing but I thought I had looked everywhere....found her during a water change. So now down to one female and the male. The male chases my male gourami everywhere....stupid. Not going to replace them with more platies.

Clown Loaches I bought a group of 4-5 baby ones and all died within an hour or so of leaving the store still in the bag. Also I would say my Black Mystery snail if that counts because all he does is crawl on my glass smearing his feces on the glass as he goes and his little friends the Albino Mystery snail and the Assassin snail do not make much of a mess just him.

Colisa lalia (type of dwarf gourami). I bought two in the past, and everytime the same thing happened! They are totally ok for 5-6 months, then from one day to another they stop eating and die within 48 hours. Dwarf gourami disease, gotta love it!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Australian rainbows. I had a group of 3. I know a little on the small side but I had planned on adding more. Every where I read was "great community fish" and other accolades for them. Well... Mine were soooo food aggressive that I had to over feed to get enough past them to fish below. Didn't matter what type either- pellets, tabs, flakes, dried stuff, thawed frozen. They are everything. Definitely food aggressive. And then they started getting mean (the male especially) and chasing everyone else around. I finally rehomed them to a friend with others in a rainbow only tank.

And their tank mates aren't slow or bad eaters either. Some really piggy serpae tetras, denison barbs, and baby clown loaches. As soon as I got rid of them everyone in the tank was less stressed and the tetras stopped hiding. They were also tearing up my plants. They were still babies when I got them and they were in a 55 so not too small for them and especially not once we upgrade to the 150 but like a week after I got them I hated them

I know what you mean. I have an almost only rainbow tank, and they are pigs! They eat frigging everything I have to over feed them so I only feed them every 2 or 3 days. I love rainbows though I shall never get rid of them lol.

Blue Channel Cat.
Looked cute and tiny in the LFS tank. About a year later he was nearly a foot long and eating everything including the fish he outgrew. Eventually released him into a local lake.

PT2: (Yes I cheated and posted 2 instead of 1)
Tinfoil Barbs
Bought 3 for $10 at LFS. They were small and looked beautiful when the sunlight reflected off their scales. They are now all about 6 to 7 inches and voracious eaters. They also pick the fins of any fish that get near them. I still have them in a 75G cichlid tank where they are dominant and the other cichlids dont even mess with them. I plan on giving away to a local LFS when I find one that can take them.

Moral of the Story:
Do your research and see how big the fish will grow before buying them.

One was a dwarf gourami who essentially wanted to kill everything in the tank, he got taken back, he had plenty of space and everything but just was a mean dude.

Another I partially regretted but not really was my Anostomus Anostomus, he would have great days and then other days where all he wanted to do was torment all the other fish bigger than him. Still a beautiful fish, but really aggressive at times.

Tiger barbs. I had a pretty harmonious community 29gallon, added a school of six tiger barbs and it hit the fan. They were very aggressive compared to the platys and danios. Spent the better part of a week trying to catch them all, the tank was heavily decorated
I've heard of many others keeping them with no problems, but I had a terrible time with them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One thing I've learned when catching fish out of a heavily planted tank! Turn of lights for 30mins, geta flashlight and start fishing away ;)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

For me, I would probably have to go with my Common Pleco I had years ago. Long story short, I purchased him many years ago when I knew very little about fish, and put him in my 20g tank. :eek: He ended up getting very large, but I was able to give him to a neighbor that had a 125g tank. I really enjoyed his presence while I had him, but I regret purchasing the Pleco because the tank was not ideal for him, being 20 gallons in size. :)

Tire track eel. Beautiful fish but refused any food I gave to it. Also buried itself in the sand so I rarely saw it. One day just disappeared without a trace. Thinking he finally died of starvation in the sand and because he was buried I couldn't find him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tire track eel. Beautiful fish but refused any food I gave to it. Also buried itself in the sand so I rarely saw it. One day just disappeared without a trace. Thinking he finally died of starvation in the sand and because he was buried I couldn't find him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hahaha or one day you're all of a sudden going to find him and he is a monster eel now ;)

African leaf fish.

He was an impulse buy. He was marked semi aggressive. I have a semi aggressive tank, 15 tiger barbs(5 normal, 5 green, 5 green platinum) and some cories, and a red tail shark. I looked at the leaf, he didn't have frilly fins, I thought he'd be fine. I put him in, the tigers investigated him, and ignored him shortly after.(My tiger barbs were peaceful, which I gather is an anomaly.) About a week later, I noticed the leaf nip at a tiger. I watched, and it seemed like he was guarding the plant he circled. The next day, the leaf was missing his left gill, from the looks of it, and I had to watch him limp on for a week longer before he died.

Well, I didn't buy it, but took a tank with some fish in it to save them from the toilet.
Iridescent shark. Absolutely stupid fish to have in standard home aquaria. He was really cool but it was an absolute nightmare to clean the tank, change the water, walk by the tank, turn the lights on, make noise...you get the idea. I found a 500g indoor pond home for him eventually. He was 15" long and beat up.

Back
Top Bottom