What is this anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It hitch hiked from the new live rock I got and I'm just curious as to what it is

Attachments

• 1395881063998.jpg
    1395881063998.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 93
How would I go about getting rid of it?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hard to tell. Could be aiptasia or majano as mentioned. No need to dry it out. Buy some kalkwasser, make a paste and cover it. Make sure all pumps are off.

Or pull out the rock and pour lemon juice on the anemone. Let it sit a few minutes, scrub with toothbrush, repeat till no amount of flesh is left on rock.

One if the local aquarists here says if you can get the rock out, just take a small blow torch to it. She says that's one of the quickest and easiest ways to get rid of them with minimal likelihood of them returning.

dry it out. when you try to treat it inside the tank, you never know what could have happen. also this thing spreads fast so it's best to get rid of the cause as oppose to the symptom. if i were you, i would take out the whole tank worth of rock, dry out, vinegar bath, the whole nine yard.

i have seen them taking over the whole tank within months in one of my local reefer's tank and it's not a pretty sight. once it settles it's really hard to get rid of it completely without tearing the tank apart. so i would start by taking immediate action by drying them out and vinegar bath them. the longer you wait, the more agony you're accumulating for later on down the road.

If you treat in tank correctly there is no issue. Vinegar bath everything and starting over is silly. Just need to be diligent in observing the tank and remove the pest as soon as it is identified.

They don't spread that fast. Poking them or slightly damaging them is what causes them to release spores and spread faster. Kalk paste mouth first and then cover the rest entirely. Make sure the paste is thick enough to stay where you put it.

No need to freak out when you see just one or a few.

Back
Top Bottom