What is this bubble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Circled in red:

2005-11-04bubbles2sv2.jpg

Yep, lots of em in the tank now, since yesterday. Clear, shiny.

Yes it is bubble algae. It can spread like crazy. Do not pop the bubbles or one will become hundreds. You can try to remove it with a vacuum but be careful. I had a little bit in my tank at one time. I put a few emerald crabs in the tank and they ate it. They love the stuff

The bubble algea is green and like Brenden said Emerald crabs will do the job

I am going to hijack your thread for a second.

I have bubble algae all over my tank (it was on some coral I bought) and I have an emerald crab. He eats it, no problem there. My question is... when he eats the bubble algae, he breaks them open... doesnt that cause more bubble algae to grow?

I often wondered the same thing JPloman. I never understood the reasoning behind adding crabs that may or may not eat it. Lowering your phosphates is the best way to battle any algae and is how I got rid of my bubble algae.
I'm not convinced the bubble in question is algae either. It looks like an air bubble to me. :|

:soap: Fluff: I can agree that it looks like an air bubble but it looks like it is to large. An air bubble that size would have to much buoyancy to stay down on the rock.

I'm getting in the air bubble court. The only bubble algae I've ever seen is green, not clear. I also wouldn't be inclined to pop bubble algae (either myself or via emerald crab). That can only help to spread it.

The couple that I've inherited through coral transfers have always just died off on their own.

Problem with emerald crabs is they themselves can become the nuisance. When they get big, they hunt your fish!

Fluff....That is what all women say. :lol:
20/20 is the bubble clear or greenish.
The bubble algae that hitchiked into my tank dissappeared. I never saw a emerald eat it.

It's nostoc, the green bubble algae alright. Reach in, grab it and twist. Usually come off pretty easily. Tongs will work. Emerald crabs only get the small. Be persistance, make sure your nitrates are low, and fill the tank with life you want, which will out compete them if tank conditions are good.

Back
Top Bottom