What is this creature ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rjaber77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

I noticed this small creature growing in my tank
Just now I could capture him

Can you guys tell me what is this?
Is it fine to keep it? Or shall I remove it ?

Thanks .,

Raed

Attachments

• image-2156265876.jpg
    image-2156265876.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 229
  • image-331587371.jpg
    image-331587371.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 211
  • image-3594477500.jpg
    image-3594477500.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 205
Hello I noticed this small creature growing in my tank Just now I could capture him Can you guys tell me what is this? Is it fine to keep it? Or shall I remove it ? Thanks ., Raed

Color reminds of dragon fly / larva I would always see at the river.

Color reminds of dragon fly / larva I would always see at the river.
Hi
No I think Tony is much correct
It is ((Damselfly nymph))
I search the names in google photo
It is much Similar to Damselfly nymph.

But Tony, is it good or bad ? Will it sting my fishes ?

Thanks .,
RJ

Hi No I think Tony is much correct It is ((Damselfly nymph)) I search the names in google photo It is much Similar to Damselfly nymph. But Tony, is it good or bad ? Will it sting my fishes ? Thanks ., RJ

It's like a dragonfly. Once it leaves the nymph phase, it'll no longer be aquatic.

I've heard that they can target very small fish at their largest size. I would put it in its own little container and raise it and free it when it changes if you want to, if not just put it in a body of water outside.

I would kill her if i catch her :)
I don't want her to sting my kids :p

Thanks .,

Raed
-------------

Finally catch this creature and threw it away
He is not peaceful at all

I tried to isolated him in the quarantine pot but he start trying to sting and bite the sick golden fish and she was running afraid of him :(

Then I immediately take him out and threw him away :)

Raed
--------

keep checking your tank, if it hatched in your tank u will likely have more than one

Chances are good the nymph came in with some plants, or even in water with fish or plants. I had two show up once, after some new plants went into a tank. Now I make sure to rinse and soak new plants for awhile in bucket, most critters this size will end up in the bucket at the bottom. Or you can dip them in hydrogen peroxide, which will kill off most anything that may be hitchhiking, including snails and algae.

They don't sting, so far as I know, but the nymphs are predatory and will eat anything they can catch, which would include fry, baby shrimplets, most of the small crustaceans that we often find in our tanks, such as scuds, and even some small fish species possibly. Best removed as soon as you find they are there.

Chances are good the nymph came in with some plants, or even in water with fish or plants. I had two show up once, after some new plants went into a tank. Now I make sure to rinse and soak new plants for awhile in bucket, most critters this size will end up in the bucket at the bottom. Or you can dip them in hydrogen peroxide, which will kill off most anything that may be hitchhiking, including snails and algae. They don't sting, so far as I know, but the nymphs are predatory and will eat anything they can catch, which would include fry, baby shrimplets, most of the small crustaceans that we often find in our tanks, such as scuds, and even some small fish species possibly. Best removed as soon as you find they are there.
Thanks a lot
That was worthy information to me :)

Raed
--------

Back
Top Bottom