What is this fish from my lfs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KurtGrundell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My girlfriend and I just got our first fish today after finishing the cycle and we got 4 cory dorys but when we got home we noticed 2 looked different and not like catfish. I am wondering what these are, what they eat, will they be fine with a betta because we plan to add one in a week or 2 and if we need to go get more Cory dorys now or if it can wait until my next trip to the store to get the betta? Also our tank is 10 gallons if that changes the answer to any of the questions. Thanks in advance! (Reposted since I put it in the wrong forum)

Attachments

• 0EC86CF5-D8A5-4B6D-963D-3277FA3B9B67.jpg
    0EC86CF5-D8A5-4B6D-963D-3277FA3B9B67.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2A83A38F-FD43-409F-8CC7-B59933590358.jpg
    2A83A38F-FD43-409F-8CC7-B59933590358.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 30
They appear to be a variety of Apistogramma but I'm not 100% sure. They are definitely not cories.
They would eat a combination of flake and frozen foods. More meat than veggy but vegetable matter is necessary. Will they exist with a Betta, they should since they are going to stay closer to the bottom of the tank while the Betta should stay closer to the surface. Make sure you have some hiding places for these fish as they are hiders more than active swimmers.
As for adding more cories, it can wait until your next trip to the store. That said, let me say this, there is a big difference between a cory cat and these Cichlids and it shows that the person who netted them does not have a clue as to what they are doing. I would seriously reconsider the store you got them from. You may even want to notify the manager of the store of this mistake. It's a big one.

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom