What is this on my live tock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
K so i started a nano reef and got my live rock in and it is currently cycling but I noticed some white tubes coming out the rock

image-465477578.jpg

And a few hours later this was visible

image-1222360573.jpg

They are very tiny I was thinking maybe tube worms?

Also I seen these weird things

image-946052983.jpg

Oh and no I dont leave lights on while cycling,, only checking for life once or twice a day.

The first is some sort of worm Worm Hitch Hikers you might want to look up vemetid snail as well.

The last one looks like some type of zoa that is really mad.

joy13 said:
The last one looks like some type of zoa that is really mad.

Would they survive an hour out of water then as it was on some live rock I got.

Are they harmfully to touch as I didn't use gloves to aquascape not realising there was such critters on the rock.

Thy haven't changed in 24 hours so would you assume yet are dead!?

Would they survive an hour out of water then as it was on some live rock I got.

Are they harmfully to touch as I didn't use gloves to aquascape not realising there was such critters on the rock.

Thy haven't changed in 24 hours so would you assume yet are dead!?

They can survive and are known for closing up for days when they're unhappy. Don't write them off yet! I had some palythoa (close relative) that was on live rock left in a styrofoam cooler on the back of a truck in November for hours come back.

As far as being harmful to touch, they are only if you're allergis to them OR if you have open cuts or wounds. They do produce a toxin, but you pretty much have to eat them or get it directly in the blood to cause any real harm. I haven't had any reactions to mine and I have heard of some folks having a bit of skin irritation.

If you just started cycling your tank, chances are there not going to make it. And I've handled a few of them and they never hurt me, and I don't use gloves ever.

I did think they might not make it as I know there is usually a bit off die off during the cycle just wondered wat they was.

Back
Top Bottom