What is this stuff on the glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PotRoastMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep getting this stuff on the glass of my freshwater tank. What is it? How do I get rid of it? It cleans off fairly easy with a green scratch pad, but it seems to come back real quick.

Attachments

• img_1132_113.jpg
    img_1132_113.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
  • img_1134_769.jpg
    img_1134_769.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 17
its algea, I'm battling it now actually, my other tank is crystal clear but my 29 is brown watered and has algea everywhere, the only cure I have found that somewhat works is:

1. soak and fake plants or ornamnets with this on it in plastic plant cleaning solution, but thats takes along time

2, and to keep a phosphate reducing media in your filter, this helps with the rapid spreading

you could also try a black out, cover the entire tan kwith a blanket for 3 days and don't feed them, and defintly don't let any light in, this will destroy all the algea pores too

i have a 75g and i added just 1 4" pleco to my tank and within 2 days there wasnt a single spec of algae in my entire tank.

Is that brown (diatom) algae? Usually the brown stuff only occurs in a new tank? Yeah, plecos love the stuff.

I would suggest getting rid of the cause rather then trying to control it,
ie. excessive lighting, excessive nutrients, decaying matter....

Back
Top Bottom