what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjamontan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am sure it is some kind of algae. Is it red hair algae? What is it caused by and how do I get rid of it?

ForumRunner_20120111_183747.jpg

It looks like cyanobacteria to me. An overabundance of nutrients usually causes it. water changes and cutting back on feeding, vacuuming out what you see...

I added my sump today added about 20 gallons more in water volume. Is that as good as a 20% water change. I normally change out 10 gallons every sixth day. I usually feed the fish about a third of a cube once per day and pinch of flake food. I have three fish one shrimp 5 blue leg crabs 4 snails and one emerald. Am I over feeding?

What I do is small water changes several times a week when cyano starts to creep into my tank, siphon off as much as I can with each small water change.

I believe that cyano is responsive to PH levels. Raising you PH may get rid of them/reduce the likelihood of a reoccurance.

I wouldn't raise PH if you are good. Dramatic PH changes are harmful. Removing the food source and water changes is the best way to address the growth.

What do you use as a water source for your water changes? Beware of nitrates and phosphates coming into the tank with a water change, as that just feeds the stuff.

Depends on your test kit. I think most nitrate and phosphate kits are fine for both salt and freshwater, but double check to be sure. I think mine work for both, but I have a different chart for fresh.

If I remember correctly someone said that you can get a API color chart from there web page to test fresh water.

I use to get my water from a vending machine aswell or the local water store and I could never figure out why I kept having problems with algae. I tested the ro from the water store and my tds meter read about 5ppms. I bought a ro/di unit and never had a problem after that. I get 0 ppms now from ro/di filter. the algae problems I was fighting for months have gone away. I should have done this from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom