What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefnoob84

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a jewel gonipora the other day and now there's some kind of film on it I basted it off yesterday but is back today. I'll get some better pics up after the lights go on

It's probably a bacterial infection. Goniopora generally doesn't do well long term in closed systems. Brown jelly disease perhaps.

I was instructed to blow off the layer to see if there was still anything under it. Some heads came off and there is just skeleton.

Also I have a green flower pot gonipora for almost 6 months now and is still healthy

Goniopora have a very high mortality rate in closed systems.
Was the slime that you blew off brown? Where did it go....is it blowing around the tank?

I sucked it up with a small baster. Yes it was brown. I'm not 100% sure I got it all tho.

I would not be surprised if you lost that coral. Try not to let that brown jelly float all over the tank. I'm not sure if that's how it spreads, but I have heard reports of a coral entering the tank with brown jelly, and then the rest of them got it. I know a guy that lost a whole tank of euphyllia this way.

I wouldn't. I might frag off the dead part though. I would cut some of the good flesh with it. This may stop the BJD from spreading further.

Ok so I dragged off the bad areas. It was worse this morning btw. And I also dipped in a coral dip made by seachem called reef dip. Lfs gave it to me and said lets see if it helps. I'll keep you updated

Reefnoob84 said:
Ok so I dragged off the bad areas. It was worse this morning btw. And I also dipped in a coral dip made by seachem called reef dip. Lfs gave it to me and said lets see if it helps. I'll keep you updated

Sorry fragged off***

3 days later all is good. Don't see any spreading whatsoever!!!

Got another question though. I don't know where to post cause I'm using the app but I've got a piece of rock with polyps and another type of coral not too sure but it looks like there starting to fight over space on the rock. I've doubled the amount of polyps in the last 2 months and the other is growing well too. What should I do??

View attachment 76876

There's 3 polyps that are completely surrounded

You could leave them alone and let them fight for real estate, or separate them. It's up to you. You could chip a piece of the rock off with the zoas on it and glue that to something else, away from the more invasive coral.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom