What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some live rock from my brother to add to my tank....it has been in his sump, in the dark, for months. Today I noticed this white feathery stuff growing all over.....what is it? If it is bad what do I do to get rid of it? The pic only shows a small area coming from the side of the rock, but it was the best I could get. Thanks

Attachments

• image-4058429315.jpg
    image-4058429315.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 115
It looks a bit like excess slime from corals or some form of algae. I'm not a expert but it could be some form of bacteria growing specially if the sump has been in the dark for a long period of time. Maybe look at the chemicals used to treat the sump and maybe it'll reveal some warning of growths idk

No corals in the tank it came from....was in total darkness and he said he has not seen any in the display tank.....when looking up close it looks like a carpeting of tiny feather duster heads, but no tube or body.....just the feather part......I was thinking maybe hydroids, but from what I find it seems they have tube like bodies too.....

It's kind of hard to see, but it is entirely possible that it is a patch of tiny feather dusters. If they are embedded in the rock you may not see the body. Or they may blend in.

Back
Top Bottom