What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I think most of us with planted tanks have been in petsmart, picking up something for our tanks, and the little aquatic plant bulbs catch our eye. So we grab an inexpensive pack and bring them home. They come with 2 aponogetons, a water lily and an onion plant. I always have 2 aponogetons and and sometimes an onion sprout. Never a lily. They have refunds if they don't sprout but I don't think it's worth it. Anyway, one of these aponogetons which is fairly new sent up this stalk thing. The plant is only 2 or three weeks old and is not very big at all compared to a fully grown aponogeton ulvaceous as you can see in the picture. It's kinda hard to make out but the plant in question is the biggest one. There is a smaller one behind it but that's not it. This is the first time I've grown these in a tank more setup for plants though, and I've noticed a few differences. They are a lot redder than those grown in lower tech tanks. The tank is ten gallons. The lighting is 2 cfls 6500K. The substrate is sand with red clay underneath and root tabs. So if anybody knows what this is that would be awesome. That would be really cool if it ends up being some sort of flower or runner, but the plant is really young so I don't know.

Attachments

• image-493347670.jpg
    image-493347670.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 116
Really?! That's crazy! Does this happen often with aponogetons? Never had a plant flower before lol

One of mine does constantly another one does every so often and the last one only has a couple times. So it all depends on how well it likes your tank. It's not a very pretty flower but it is cool none the less knowing your plants are loving your setup.

That's awesome! I'm pulling baby endlers from that tank as we speak right now lol. I guess they like the setup too lol. This tank is full of surprises tonight.

Endlers live bearers. They are like guppies but smaller and they have some rad colors. They are very rare in the wild as the lake they're from is like polluted now. Something like that.

That is an aponogeton ulvaceus according to the package. I have one myself and those shoots will reach the top of my 55g tank in 2 days or so. It really is kind of crazy how fast they grow. Apparently you can take a soft brush and brush it across the flowers to propogate the different aponogetons, although I'm not sure if that's the case with this particular one.

Just a side note, it looks like you have the rhizome buried in the substrate which will kill the plant. You might want to try unburying it.

Mine only sprouted a week ago and I have a flower pod reaching for the surface!!! Lol good plant! I'm getting some sick purples out of it too!
My onion just started growing new leafs too (only about a inch as of today). Haha but those are all I have gotten to sprout out of the whole package!
I planted them about a month ago . Slow start but explosive growth once their established.

image-988567115.jpg

I think it's a flower pod? It looks different from the rest of the leafs.... Haha time will tell. And what's that about brushing the flower? I knew whet that meant in high school but I'm sure it means more here! :) (joke)
Sorry if I'm high jacking. Just curious.

Mine will probably be at the surface by the time I get home lol. And yeah it is a little buried. I've been messing with the aquascape a bit and some sand probs got pushed over it. Luckily it's an easy fix. That thing in the middle if your plant looks a lot like mine, I think it's a flower.

Ok thanks. Do you know what kind yours are? Like scientific name? Mine are aponogetons ulvaceous. I'll upload a pic of mine if it opens up tonight. It's almost at the surface. If not I will in the morning. Could you explain more on the pollination? I get how to do it and all, but can I pollinate one flower with pollen from a flower on the same plant? I'm sure the other plant will send up a flower so that's not really a problem. After pollinated, do they just make seed pods or something? Can I plant the seeds in an aquarium?

All I know is mine was labeld hybrid hardy aponogenton bulb I bought a pack of 5 bulbs from wal mart for like 2.75 and got 3 to sprout.

Whoa those flowers are crazy. Mine is soo close to the surface. I'll be up for another 2-3 hours so we'll see what happens. I can also see that another flower shoot is growing from the base now. Yippee!

It willtake almost a day or two before it splits open sometimes mine open the day they reach the surface sometimes the next day. LoL yea there kinda crazy lookin.

Aw man I was hoping the flowers opened up as fast as the whole stalk grew. It's gotten like a foot tall in less than two days lol. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow I can at least see part of the flower.

Back
Top Bottom