What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like a brittle sea star another type of creature that you'll find often in live rock you'll also find clams and mantis shrimp too

I know the feeling.

I had the exact same thing happen to me (though I freaked out a lot more than you apparently did) when I set up my tank. That horrifying thing just crawled out of the rocks, didn't it? It's either a brittle or serpent star fish. Apparently they're good for cleaning up the tank but I took mine back to the LFS because I think they're the most ghastly looking creatures.

Joseph Granata

Awesome! Thanks haha when it crawled out I was so surprised ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I shrieked when I saw the tentacle coming out and then yelled "prepare your body" at my dad and he was just like wtf is going on. Then I went on a 15 minute rant (I already knew about the species so I knew exactly what was coming) and apparently my dad recorded it all and I was too angry to even notice! After when he showed it to me I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe :*)

Joseph Granata

If you could help me out and ID one more thing for me that would be awesome. I recently purchased LR from my LFS and this was on it.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415067825.245180.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I assume you're talking about the purple stuff. I don't think it's coralline algae because it looks too bright and too thick (as in it looks like it sticks out from the rock too much). My guess would be some type of sponge.

Joseph Granata

Back
Top Bottom