What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.j.gomez

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Oscar has a blotch on her that can only be seen when lights are on. Is this something I need to worry about? Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-40ppm nitrates. Water changes 50% 2xwkly & She's in a 90gal cycled by herself. She's fed market shrimp, peas, hikari cichlid pellets & super worms. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!!!! IMG_20211012_121414894_MP.jpgIMG_20211012_121404967_MP.jpg

My Oscar has a blotch on her that can only be seen when lights are on. Is this something I need to worry about? Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-40ppm nitrates. Water changes 50% 2xwkly & She's in a 90gal cycled by herself. She's fed market shrimp, peas, hikari cichlid pellets & super worms. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!!!! View attachment 321994View attachment 321995
Hey people, I think I know what was causing these white blotches on Oscars. I had previously switched from seachem prime to seachem safe. On directions you use 1/4 teaspoon for 300gal established tank. So for my new 120 I was dosing 1/8 teaspoon.
Long to short I had a move & upped dose to 1 teaspoon for a month to be on the safe side. Noticed blotches started to disappearing.
I'm thinking but not positive that 1/8 teaspoon wasn't enough to handle clhorine instantly as directions stated & she was getting burned. I've lowered dose to 1/2 teaspoon now & shes still doing good at 5 months.
Just wanted to put this out there in case someone else runs into a similar situation. Hopefully this helps someone!!!!!Screenshot_20220429-090158.jpgScreenshot_20220429-090148.jpg

Curious on this one.

Reading the dosage instructions your calculations of 1/8 teaspoon seems correct for your size tank. But it also says you need 4x that dose for ammonia.

If you have chloramine treated tapwater, this product (same as Prime) will break the chlorine/ammonia bond releasing them both into the water, the water conditioner will treat the chlorine part and your cycle will then need to process out the ammonia. So depending on how much ammonia is released you might need more than the recommended dose to deal with chloramine "and" released ammonia.

Also, that dosage calculation will be worked out for a typical concentration of chlorine/chloramine. If you have a higher concentration in your tap water you would need more Safe to treat the water. The precise concentration of chlorine/chloramine the product treats at recommended dosage is probably in the small print somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom