What is wrong with my goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purple pearl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed it looks more bloated each day and its got this white stringy thing coming out of the rear and its eyes seem to be popped out any idea as to what this could be.

Attachments

• image-1472192282.jpg
    image-1472192282.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1696181630.jpg
    image-1696181630.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 78
It could be a bacterial infection, white stringy poop is a sign of a bacterial infection, it could be constipation, but I don't know, don't feed it for 2-3 days, and then just feed him Peas for two weeks, I cured my black moor like this

Thank you so much for answering. I'm new to this my tank is still cycling I've lost 3 already and dealing with high ammonia levels and I don't want to lose anymore. Should I quarantine him for now? And how do you feed the peas?

Sounds like bloat! If you are loosing fish due to cycling, then why not wait out the cycling period and then get fish. If you have that many fancy fin gold fish I sure hope you have a big tank.

I had fancy gold fish for years and yes, they do get stringy long crap and bloat contributes to it.

Well, bloat is the inflammation of the belly by insufficient diet, or constipation, infections cause the white poop, it's like diahrea to us

Thanks for the reply's I found him dead yesterday morning it had gotten caught in the filter so now I am down on one goldfish :(

The issues your encountering with your fish are due to way too many goldfish in too small of an uncycled tank. The minimum for a single fancy goldfish is 20g, with an additional 10-20g for EACH goldfish you add. Your fish are not suffering from bacterial infections or bloat. They are succumbing to poisoning from an excess of toxins in the tank (ammonia and nitrite).

Are there any fish still remaining? I strongly advise that you return any remaining fish and spend some time researching the fish you are interested in keeping along with their needs and requirements. If returning them is not an option, you will need a much larger tank asap with hefty filtration. A good water conditioner such as Prime will help to limit toxicity of ammonia and nitrite. A liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit will be a must here- you will need to test your water daily and perform water changes daily, if not more often. I will post some links below with more information- please take the time to read them. Please ask any questions you may have!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

I have the API test and have been doing daily water changes twice a day. Ammonia was at .50 this morning and Nitrite is .00. I will be getting a bigger tank. When I purchased it I was not made aware of how many I could have in a 10 gallon tank nor was I made aware of the cycle but lesson learned. Thank you for the links

Wow, that's a lot of fish for a 10 gallon, me myself are having some issues with what to put in my 10 gallon

I have the API test and have been doing daily water changes twice a day. Ammonia was at .50 this morning and Nitrite is .00. I will be getting a bigger tank. When I purchased it I was not made aware of how many I could have in a 10 gallon tank nor was I made aware of the cycle but lesson learned. Thank you for the links

You're not alone. Most pet store "aquarists" don't really know all that much & give people bad advice. I think most of us have learned aquarium lessons the hard way. All you can do now is put your new found knowledge to work & make things better going forward. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom