What is wrong with my poor fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amaunet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay first the tank is a 10 gallon planted tank and 4mo. old. I have recently done a 100% water change when adding fluorite substrate - I left the old gravel in and just mixed it really good to keep the bb as well as left the filter alone.

Ammonia reading in the safe zone according to my meter in the tank and according to the lfs the water parameters are perfection.

I have no clue what kind of fish this is bc while it was a Walmart goldfish tank he has barbels which from what I've read no goldfish has.

Anyway I noticed this weird fuzzy stuff on his fins and it looks like his fins are breaking down. Help plz!:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 132
Here is another pic of whatever this is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 106
Okay first the tank is a 10 gallon planted tank and 4mo. old. I have recently done a 100% water change when adding fluorite substrate - I left the old gravel in and just mixed it really good to keep the bb as well as left the filter alone.

Ammonia reading in the safe zone according to my meter in the tank and according to the lfs the water parameters are perfection.

I have no clue what kind of fish this is bc while it was a Walmart goldfish tank he has barbels which from what I've read no goldfish has.

Anyway I noticed this weird fuzzy stuff on his fins and it looks like his fins are breaking down. Help plz!:

If he was in a goldfish tank and has barbels he is probably a very young koi, which means he sadly isn't suited for life in an aquarium. It looks like he has fin rot, which is almost always caused by poor water quality. I know those meter things aren't always very accurate. Does your LFS use strips or liquid tests to test your water? Strips aren't very accurate and could be giving you false readings. Do you know the exact readings from the test?
The best way to cure him is lots of fresh clean water. What is your current water change schedule?

I can't even tell what kinda fish that is.. o_O is it just the top fin or all of them? Is it just the fin or part of the body too/

I know almost every freshwater fish (or I could at least give you the type (cichlid, barb,tetra, etc.) and I haven't seen one of those before. So I'm going to assume its a type of goldfish

It looks like a koi to me. Looks similar to a goldfish, long body, barbells.

It is prolly some kind of koi..maybe a hybred? It is carp like too..can you get a closer pic?

If he was in a goldfish tank and has barbels he is probably a very young koi, which means he sadly isn't suited for life in an aquarium. It looks like he has fin rot, which is almost always caused by poor water quality. I know those meter things aren't always very accurate. Does your LFS use strips or liquid tests to test your water? Strips aren't very accurate and could be giving you false readings. Do you know the exact readings from the test?
The best way to cure him is lots of fresh clean water. What is your current water change schedule?

I was a little worried that he was in fact a koi. I currently have a weekly schedule of changing the water at least 30% each time. I use tetra aqua safe to decloronate/condition the water. The lfs uses strips. I don't know the exact readings, since I had used my last strip myself and was going there to get some - I use API 5 - 1 strips. I just ran another and the readings are as follows:

GH 120
KH 0
pH 7.0
NO2 0
NO3 40

It is prolly some kind of koi..maybe a hybred? It is carp like too..can you get a closer pic?

Here ya go. Poor thing looks awful :(

Attachments

• image-2661411999.jpg
    image-2661411999.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 72
Looks like fine rot, how active is he. Try increasing the water changes, this is just my opinion I would do water changes every three days 25%. Keep that water as clean as possible

He has been slightly sluggish for a couple of days now, and very skittish. Tho with that I think it's bc when I did the water change when adding the fluorite I had put him and his tank mates into a brand new 5 gallon bucket bought that day and within 5 minutes all but my sucker fish - cant rem the real name of those danger things - started a ting really weird I freaked thinking oh god was there a contaminate I. The bucket and switched them to another set of buckets with the old water in it to no avail. Only he and the sucker survived it.

Was a sad day for me I felt so guilty and awful :'(

Finally got a close pic

Attachments

• image-894523698.jpg
    image-894523698.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 64
As long as he is still eating you are little ok. Give him a mix diet and put in some stress coat. They got meds that will help with fin rot if thats what it is. Not sure if they are safe with plants tho.

First thanks so much for all of your advice guys. But sadly my fish has just died :(

I am still going to do the 30% water change, but is there anything else I should do? And how long should I wait before restocking my tank?

As mentioned its a 10 gallon moderately planted tank. The only fellas left in the tank now is the one guppy who has survived and the sucker fish. As well as one black mystery snail.

First thanks so much for all of your advice guys. But sadly my fish has just died :(

I am still going to do the 30% water change, but is there anything else I should do? And how long should I wait before restocking my tank?

As mentioned its a 10 gallon moderately planted tank. The only fellas left in the tank now is the one guppy who has survived and the sucker fish. As well as one black mystery snail.

You could do a couple good water changes and could restock whenever. I would prolly recommend a few more guppies. Also, is it a normal pleco or your "sucker fish" or is it a Bristlenose? Other it really should be in a 10 gallon. I would maybe add a couple cory catfish and that would be it.

Back
Top Bottom