What is wrong with my poor fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could do a couple good water changes and could restock whenever. I would prolly recommend a few more guppies. Also, is it a normal pleco or your "sucker fish" or is it a Bristlenose? Other it really should be in a 10 gallon. I would maybe add a couple cory catfish and that would be it.

It's a regular Pleco I balked at getting the rubber mouth or the other algae eaters bc I knew that a 10 gallon was so not suitable for the,as to their size, though it is questionable for me if he is going to need another larger tank in the future. I wanted to start with a smaller one tho bc it has been ant 10-15 years since I have had a tank.

And also..sorry to hear about your fish! But ok..he won't grow too much in that tank and will probably be the biggest fish in your tank and almost stocks it in itself. But you could add what I said and be okay yet I think. What kinda filteration do you have?

And also..sorry to hear about your fish! But ok..he won't grow too much in that tank and will probably be the biggest fish in your tank and almost stocks it in itself. But you could add what I said and be okay yet I think. What kinda filteration do you have?

Okay got my paperwork for the tank, the paper is a ill confusing so I'll take a pic n attach it bc it lists several model numbers on it. It's a bow front tank and came with a LED 16W light.

Attachments

• image-4088162167.jpg
    image-4088162167.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 53
Ok so if it's a 10, you prolly have the 10i filter then since it came with it I presume?

Ok so if it's a 10, you prolly have the 10i filter then since it came with it I presume?

Yes it's the one that came with the tank. Tho I' be quite willing to get a larger one if it would be more suitable for my tank.

Plecos produce alot of waste and would be alot for your 10. A bigger tank would better..or possibly rehome the pleco and get a smaller one?

Plecos produce alot of waste and would be alot for your 10. A bigger tank would better..or possibly rehome the pleco and get a smaller one?
sorry about your fish, i have to agree with him, a pleco is not suited for a 10 gal tank. you said you have not had a tank in 10-15 years so you wanted to start small, Bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain.

First thanks so much for all of your advice guys. But sadly my fish has just died :(

I am still going to do the 30% water change, but is there anything else I should do? And how long should I wait before restocking my tank?

As mentioned its a 10 gallon moderately planted tank. The only fellas left in the tank now is the one guppy who has survived and the sucker fish. As well as one black mystery snail.

I'm sorry for your loss. I would do a bigger water change than 30% just to be sure, since your nitrates were at 40. Assuming they are still around 40, a 50% change would bring them down to 20, 75% would bring them down to 10. The lower the nitrates, the better. It doesn't look like your fish had anything contagious, and from your story about the water change I'm guessing there was some contamination that brought about his ill health and made him more susceptible to fin rot from the water quality. I'm guessing it was a little worse than the strips say simply because that was a fairly large looking fish with a very heavy bioload in a 10 gallon tank. Before restocking I would advise getting your own liquid test kit (around $18 on amazon) so you can better monitor your water quality. In the long run, the liquid test is cheaper than strips anyway, and it works better. You get way more tests out of a kit than you do a tube of strips. When you do restock, avoid goldfish. The are messy fish that get way too big for a 10 gallon. Even the fancy types need 20 gallons as a bare minimum, and many will outgrow that. Common goldfish need at least 55 gallons for just one fish. They get huuuuuuge. I would add a few more guppies and maybe 4 dwarf cories. Someone correct me on this if the cories won't fit, I'm not all that experienced in stocking small tanks.

Edit - yeah that Pleco needs to be rehomed. I didn't read down to where you confirmed it was a Pleco, I was thinking maybe it was a Chinese or Siamese algae eater... Although those really get too big for a 10 too. If I were you, I would go ahead and get a larger tank, maybe a 30 or 40 gallon if you don't want to jump right in with a 55. You will have way more stocking options, although a common Pleco still would be too big, and more water volume to work with. More water means waste is more diluted and you have more room for error. Then you can also keep the 10 you have for a quarantine / hospital tank.

I'm sorry for your loss. I would do a bigger water change than 30% just to be sure, since your nitrates were at 40. Assuming they are still around 40, a 50% change would bring them down to 20, 75% would bring them down to 10. The lower the nitrates, the better. It doesn't look like your fish had anything contagious, and from your story about the water change I'm guessing there was some contamination that brought about his ill health and made him more susceptible to fin rot from the water quality. I'm guessing it was a little worse than the strips say simply because that was a fairly large looking fish with a very heavy bioload in a 10 gallon tank. Before restocking I would advise getting your own liquid test kit (around $18 on amazon) so you can better monitor your water quality. In the long run, the liquid test is cheaper than strips anyway, and it works better. You get way more tests out of a kit than you do a tube of strips. When you do restock, avoid goldfish. The are messy fish that get way too big for a 10 gallon. Even the fancy types need 20 gallons as a bare minimum, and many will outgrow that. Common goldfish need at least 55 gallons for just one fish. They get huuuuuuge. I would add a few more guppies and maybe 4 dwarf cories. Someone correct me on this if the cories won't fit, I'm not all that experienced in stocking small tanks.

Edit - yeah that Pleco needs to be rehomed. I didn't read down to where you confirmed it was a Pleco, I was thinking maybe it was a Chinese or Siamese algae eater... Although those really get too big for a 10 too. If I were you, I would go ahead and get a larger tank, maybe a 30 or 40 gallon if you don't want to jump right in with a 55. You will have way more stocking options, although a common Pleco still would be too big, and more water volume to work with. More water means waste is more diluted and you have more room for error. Then you can also keep the 10 you have for a quarantine / hospital tank.

Well I'm assuming petsmart didn't lie ant the type of Pleco it is. But just in case here's a pic and we'll see if the were right or not?

Attachments

• image-4061696822.jpg
    image-4061696822.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 59
Well I'm assuming petsmart didn't lie ant the type of Pleco it is. But just in case here's a pic and we'll see if the were right or not?

Looks like a common pleco to me. He needs a new home. The snail should be enough to help with algae in a 10 gallon by itself, so no worries there. If you were to upgrade to a 30 gallon or larger you could do one of the smaller kinds of plecos. I have some bristlenose plecos in my 56 gallon and they are really cool fish.

My lfs does not carry dwarf Cory - I checked three within a 5 mile radius. The only types of Cory they have are Albino Cory Catfish which they say only gets between 2.5 and 3 in length and the regular Cory at 4 in and the only other "small" cats they have are ghost catfish which they say will get to 4 in.

So given that what would you suggest?

My lfs does not carry dwarf Cory - I checked three within a 5 mile radius. The only types of Cory they have are Albino Cory Catfish which they say only gets between 2.5 and 3 in length and the regular Cory at 4 in and the only other "small" cats they have are ghost catfish which they say will get to 4 in.

So given that what would you suggest?

Prolly the albinos. Up to you though.

Back
Top Bottom