What kind of corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jont82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was sold a 108w t5ho light fixture 2 bulbs and was told I could keep everything but hard corals. It's on a 55g tank. After doing more research I'm beginning to wonder if that's true?? Let me know what I could have in my tank thanks.

I was sold a 108w t5ho light fixture 2 bulbs and was told I could keep everything but hard corals. It's on a 55g tank. After doing more research I'm beginning to wonder if that's true?? Let me know what I could have in my tank thanks.

Mostly. Softies would do fine. LPS if you wanted it would have to go higher up in the tank. No SPS or Anemones.

I agree as well with the above posters. :)

Zooa's, palys and leathers should be fine. LPS will have to placed higher up if at all. Unfortunately alot of corals are not gonna be ok with just 2 bulbs. You could always get another 2 bulb fixture and open up the selection of what you can keep.

How long ago did you buy this fixture? If it's recent enough i would swap it out for a 4 bulb unit. If you can. :)

Thanks for the quick responses. Guess I'll stick to those for my first tank. Should be a good stepping stone!

I actually got it awhile back. I purchased a small frag of hammer coral and it just doesn't open up all the way like it did when I first put it in the tank. That's what had me doing a little more research. It's opening just not all the way. I moved it up now to see if it helps but if not may purchase another 2 bulb system. Don't know how it would look though. Would changing the bulbs out help at all?

Jont82 said:
I actually got it awhile back. I purchased a small frag of hammer coral and it just doesn't open up all the way like it did when I first put it in the tank. That's what had me doing a little more research. It's opening just not all the way. I moved it up now to see if it helps but if not may purchase another 2 bulb system. Don't know how it would look though. Would changing the bulbs out help at all?

Changing bulbs would be a great idea i lean towards changing mine every year.

I would say you could only have low light softies. That's not much light at all. I think LPS would struggle even higher up (just not enough coverage with two bulbs).

sales people. Can't trust anyone anymore��

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I feel your pain! While a lot may be trying to make sales, a lot of people are just misinformed and believe they are telling you the right information. Good people in sales too. Just gotta do your research!

Haha. Yea I'll just start asking you guys first!! Thanks for the info!!

You can make a really nice tank with zoos, leather and pylops with some fish added in it will rock. All depends on what you want. I have a two bulb fixture and it's doing great. Just buy corals wisely.

I'm not looking to do this. If u have two bulbs 1 being a 10k n other actinic. What if u replaced the actinic with another 10k? Just curious.

Actinics are for aesthetics and providing a different wavelength of light to the corals. It is not necessary but the algae within photosynthetic corals may be better adapted to the bright light (shallower water corals) while some will do better with the help of actinics (deeper water corals).

So both provide light, just different color ranges and wavelengths.

It's all about how much wattage you have.

Aquarium I.D. is a good app for straight info. Fish,inverts and corals and a good section on tank setup through all steps. Explains lighting and bulb functions very well. Blue light penetrates deeper.

If you use the search function..look up cheap led. I believe its been discussed a number of times. Few member have bought led spot lights with a 38 par now its more of a stright light but they only cost 50 bucks you can consider two of those in the future to place in conjunction with your current light ... give you some options when wanting somthing that requires more light.

Back
Top Bottom