What kind of fish to put in 5 gal freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.... we had a betta, but he died tonight. My 6-year old daughter would like a new fish. What beginner fish would you recommend that won't outgrow the tank?

TIA,

Natalie

I really like female bettas. They seem to be stronger and IME, swin around even more than the males.

You could try the female betta and also get an otto or two (just make sure to supplement their diet with veggies when no algae is available).

What else for a 5 gallon...a frog....maybe a male guppy or two.....

Here's a list from Aquarium Fish magazine, something to get you thinking a little outside the normal "beginner" fish. Please do research on these fish, because although they are hardy, they do have different requirements:

#1 Hart's Rivulus ( Rivulus Harti )
#2 Paradise Fish ( Macropodus opercularis )
#3 Convict Cichlid ( Archocentrus nigrofaciatus )
#4 Bronze Cory ( Corydoras aeneus )
#5 Buenos Aires Tetra ( Hemigrammus caudovittatus )

Aquarium Fish magazine said:
The purpose of this article is to recommend some fish that have proven their ability to survive almost anything, short of the tank being emptied of water. Obviously, we do not condone the intentional abuse of fish, but the fish listed here are very forgiving of a few minor or even major errors on the part of the learning hobbyist.

DOH! sorry, most of those won't fit in a 5-gal! 5-gal tanks severely limit your choices in what to get. Some people in here keep a frog or shrimp in a tank that small.

I think Zebra Danios, Another Betta, Rosy Red Minnows or something of that nature would be fairly easy to keep in that size of tank.

You may also find it beneficial to investigate why the Betta died before Getting new kids, so you can prevent this from happening again. Unless of course it was old age

Thank you very much for all of the replies! I think the betta died from old age. My daughter is still grieving for bettaray, but is also excited about getting a new fish eventually.

Thanks again!

No problem, I think I speak for us all when I say were always glad to help, after thats why were here. Send your daughter my condolences over the lost Betta, Im sure he was a very faithful pet... and doubt it was rare that he ever ran away.... She is a good mom Im sure! (daughter)

Dave

Tinny schooling fish like neon tetras... Really easy to care for. Like 6-7 fish, they school together beautifully and are so bright and colored... :)

Regarding the neon tetras.... the aquarium we have is a 5 gal (from Petco) Mini-Bow with the Whisper Power Filter. Is this filter too powerful for the neon tetras?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom