what kind of loach would you recomend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
looking for some input on new stock for my tank. at the moment i have

3 clown loaches
3 black kulli loaches
1 hillstream loach
2 bala sharks
1 blue gourami
1 black asian upside down catfish
1 eclipse catfish

what i have planned is rehoming my black upside down cat and my eclipse cat :( there getting to the point where they need a bigger home and there starting to get aggresive.

what im looking for after i rehome them is to get some more loaches, but not sure what kind i want. iv thought about zebra loaches or banded kulli loaches.

so maby give me some input on loaches you have/had so i can reserch them. i like colorfull fish and interesting fish. thanks for any and all thoughts you have

oh p.s. i have a 75gal tank and run a fluval 405 filter and my temp is 77-78 deg.F

Even without the upside-down cat and the eclipse cat the bottom of your tank is pretty stuffed. The bala sharks and the clown loaches will get too big for the tank also. If you're set on adding more loaches, get some more khulis. They like to be in groups.

+1

I dont even think a 75 gallon could hold a single school of clown loaches (Get 12-13 inches and need 100+ gallon tanks for schools) or balas (Also get 12-13 inches and need a 100+ gallon tank), you might want to rehome them.

I might want to get rid of the Hillstream loach also, They need cold water (they need lots of oxygen in the tank to survive, since coldwater holds more oxygen than warm water, thats the best setting.) They also need a strong current and a school of at least 4 or more.

What gender is your gourami, Ive heard of female blue gouramis being more peaceful than males, but im not sure. Just keep an eye on it since it is housed with peaceful fish.

Like said above, I would up the school of black khulies to 6-10. And have you considered von rio tetra?

Tyler

ok b4 any1 else wants to bust my chopps, the gourani has been in my tank for 2+ years it started off in my 20gal long then i upgraded to my 75gal its very mellow.

the two bala sharks have been in the 75 for a year and a half, and the bigger one was in my 20 for about a year it is about 5in long, and has been for about a year. The smaller one is just a lil smaller(and younger) and has been for quite some time.

as far as the clowns i know there ability to reach pritty good size, but it also takes 10 to 20 years to rach those sizes, does it make sence to have a 100gal tank for 20+ years to only have 3 fish about 2in long in it?

im not trying to be grumpy with anyone , but i what i asked for was information on loaches that you have had and how you liked them. i understand that im going to have to upgrade tanks down the road, and or have several tanks, but at the moment there is no need to have 100's of gal of water to suport the fish i have.

now if any1 would like to give me some input on the zebra loaches, banded kulli loches, or any other type of loach that they like i would appreciate it. thank you

Ive had clowns that grew 7-8 inches within a year. I soon got rid of them because I didnt have a large enough aquarium (55 gallon). Possibly, in 1-2 years, they will be fully grown.

We are just pre-warning you before they get too big and need a new aquarium. ;)

Tyler

Back
Top Bottom