What kind of shrimp am I ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lfs keeps a very small amount of shrimp and they are all in a small tank. I know I have 2 rcs and then 2 of these white/clear ones. Any ideas? I'm new to keeping shrimp. Sorry about pic quality, I had to use my phone camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1440974912117.jpg
    1440974912117.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 61
  • 1440974928143.jpg
    1440974928143.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 62
They don't have the arched back of a ghost shrimp so I don't think there ghosts, but what I do think is that they are snowball shrimp. They are a Neo species that are fairly easy tot keep, just like RCS. They look almost yellow in the picture though. By no means am I a shrimp expert, this is just my guess at what they are :)

Thanks! 2 pieces of info I forgot to mention; the ghosts are kept in a separate community tank not the shrimp tank and the other thing is I have a lot of tannins in the water from a little piece of driftwood and an IAL that I put in a few days ago. The 2 shrimps I'm asking about were white in the bag I brought them home in. I didn't know if they were stressed or low grade RCS or what. I just told them to pick out whatever, all the shrimp are the same price so I don't think I have any hidden gem here. I was just curious so I know how to care for them.

Again thanks, knowing its a neo helps me a lot.

Lucky! $8 for a snowball at my LFS, even the RCS are expensive at $3 a piece. Hope it is what I said and not something else lol! Hope they breed for you, they are cool shrimp.

Lucky! $8 for a snowball at my LFS, even the RCS are expensive at $3 a piece. Hope it is what I said and not something else lol! Hope they breed for you, they are cool shrimp.

I paid $3 each for 4 shrimp, 2 of the white ones and 2 berried RCS. $8 each whoa!

No way I would pay $8 for a shrimp. If I were drunk and a little crazy then I would maybe think about it lol :D Can we have an FTS? Curious to see how the tank looks. By the way I have no idea what IAL are, could you please clarify that?

Oh sorry, Indian Almond Leaves. I use them for my bettas. Yeah I'll take an FTS. Its just a little fluval spec III, nothing special. I got it on a super good deal a few years ago.

Here is my FTS of the cat drinking fountain aka Fluval Spec shrimp tank. This tank had no maintenance for over 6 weeks while I was in another state, not even the light got turned on, so the plants are looking a little rough.

Attachments

• 1440998055842.jpg
    1440998055842.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 1440998079698.jpg
    1440998079698.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 53
If you are hoping to for a colony then a good strain of RCS is needed. Any pale substandard or clear colours will dilute the gene pool and you will end up with mix of low grade shrimp. To keep a serious highly coloured colony requires the removing of paler or clear shrimp ensuring only the best breed.
If it's just for fun then let them do their thing and enjoy the variety of offspring, although they will almost be impossible to sell on.
Just depends on what your aim is.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you are hoping to for a colony then a good strain of RCS is needed. Any pale substandard or clear colours will dilute the gene pool and you will end up with mix of low grade shrimp. To keep a serious highly coloured colony requires the removing of paler or clear shrimp ensuring only the best breed.
If it's just for fun then let them do their thing and enjoy the variety of offspring, although they will almost be impossible to sell on.
Just depends on what your aim is.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. I really dont care what they look like. I'm just happy to keep them alive and well. If I were to set up something better I will look into a different source from a serious breeder and I will take your advice. Thank you again. :)

Back
Top Bottom