What kinds of fish are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mollies are sex MAD! If you have a boy and a few girls they will breed as long as they are not threatened by others fish. Good air and water flow is important as well.

Mollies are sex MAD! If you have a boy and a few girls they will breed as long as they are not threatened by others fish. Good air and water flow is important as well.

How do you tell the difference between males and females?

Can't really tell from the picture too well, but they look like platys or mollies. I'm not sure about mollies, but platys are sexed by the bottom fin by the tail. If it's rounded, they're female, spiked then they're male. Not sure if mollies are sexed the same way though, sorry

Those are definitely short finned mollies! My mollies just had babies, they are love bearers which means they do not lay eggs. You can tell when they are getting ready to mate by the male chasing the girls. Unless you have more than one male then they may become aggressive. I just had fry! Which was exciting!

On most fish you can see the difference between male and female by their bottom fins. The males have more of a point. Kinda resembling the human male organ. While the females bottom fins are triangle and usually clear.

Im a beginner but I have definitely be reading up and finding out more in books than online.

I have found that one of them has the long fin thing near its butt and the other does not... And he has been chasing the other one. Can a male dalmation breed with the black? I think it's going to be MORE babies soon.

I have found that one of them has the long fin thing near its butt and the other does not... And he has been chasing the other one. Can a male dalmation breed with the black? I think it's going to be MORE babies soon.

Oh yes, Dalmatians can breed with black mollies. And if you have any platies, they can all interbreed. You can end up with a tank full of very colourful fish!

Yes, my black Molly mated with my marble molly. The one with the fin near the tail is actually the female, I believe. Looking at mine the male only had one pointy fin below. I have a community tank to keep breeding low, but they have about 40 babies at a time. And my black male is still chasing the girls! But I saved a few for my family, but my angels and pea puffers ate most of them. Nature can be sad.

I also have guppies.. Do you know anything about ramshorn snails? Can I ship newborn snails

Yes, my black Molly mated with my marble molly. The one with the fin near the tail is actually the female, I believe. Looking at mine the male only had one pointy fin below. I have a community tank to keep breeding low, but they have about 40 babies at a time. And my black male is still chasing the girls! But I saved a few for my family, but my angels and pea puffers ate most of them. Nature can be sad.

The dalmation is the one with the pointy fin? Do you know anything about ramshorn snails?

I don't know much about shipping snails.. Just that I feed the normal ones to my puffers. I don't see why you couldn't, but shipping anything that is alive can be expensive. Well I'm sure your marble molly is male then. In my case my male is the black Molly. :) hope I helped!

I don't know much about shipping snails.. Just that I feed the normal ones to my puffers. I don't see why you couldn't, but shipping anything that is alive can be expensive. Well I'm sure your marble molly is male then. In my case my male is the black Molly. :) hope I helped!

Alright I think I might use these.

image-118893875.jpg

image-1714023178.jpg

I said that wrong earlier, the female has two fins one be longer towards the tail.

I think it depends who you're shipping them thru and if they need water when shipped. I would say make sure you tape them really good too.

I think it depends who you're shipping them thru and if they need water when shipped. I would say make sure you tape them really good too.

I have about 30 egg patches. I am hoping it will only take around a week before I can ship them.

Back
Top Bottom