What other fish with a male convict in a 24 gallon long ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the foot print of the tank

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a jack Dempsey and a jewel cichlid in with mine, along with a female in a 30 gallons. No problems! Male convict is king of the tank though. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The problem you have is that the male con is established in the tank, gets a reasonable size and can be mighty aggressive even without a breeding partner and all in quite a small tank. You will struggle to add more cichlids I think. If it was a female you would stand a much better chance. I think you could add some tiger barbs and a dwarf plec, but when you add them, take the con out first and place in a bucket. Move all the tank decorations around and add the other fish. A couple of hours later ( to let the other fish settle a bit first), re introduce the con. You should be ok, but no guarantees. Tiger barbs are best in 8+ but you might be best keeping to 6, that's up to you. It sounds like a tallish tank so hopefully the barbs will swim a little higher in the water than the con, and they actually might be good for him to make him a little more confident to swim around. A bristlenose could work as well but get one of well over 3" and try to create a couple of good hiding places in case the con gets a bit too close for comfort initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom