What should I change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At this point, I'm thinking I need to make one ore more changes to my 20g high tank to help the plants in it now and future plants I intend to add to it down the road. I've changed my substrate from standard PetCo gravel to eco-complete, but still seem to be having problems with quite a few of the planted plants.

What's happening to some of the plants (the swords mostly, except the ozelots) is the plant is absorbing some of their leaves. Basically, the leaves on a few of the plants are turning into a skeleton-like former version of itself.

stats
20 g high tank (24in L x 12in D x 16in H)
established tank, over 1 year running
20 lbs eco-complete, more on the way (changed over 2 weeks ago)
Marineland double bright LED 600 lumens *
dose weekly with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive
dose weekly with Seachem Flourish Excel *
0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrItes
<30 ppm nitrAtes (was at 30 before 25% PWC on weekend)
AquaClear 70 and Marineland Duetto 100 filters

plants
bacopa floating at the surface, two types
3-4 amazon swords
1 anubias nana on driftwood
3-4 cryptocoryne balansae
2 ozelot swords
2 unidentified crypt/anubias (small)
3 unidentified swords (small)

I put asterisks by what I think I may need to change in my tank. I primarily think it may be the lighting; I've seen a few comments on how the double-bright LED lights aren't sufficient for deep tanks, which mine is. I'm also debating trying out a CO2 system rather than dosing Excel with water changes.

What should I consider replacing my light with, if anything? T5HO, like the Zoo Med AquaSun? Is there another type of LED light I should take a look at?

I'll look at the writeup on CO2 systems on these boards.

Have you tried putting some root ferts under the swords? They might appreciate that.

Ferts added today. Seachem Flourish tabs, which will hopefully last a while.

Adding the fert tabs also reminded me that I really need to get that second back of eco-complete. :facepalm:

I still think I should get out of the Excel business and think about CO2 systems. Does anyone know about the following systems I found on Amazon?

Amazon.com: Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System with CO2 Activator and Stabilizer: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Fluval Mini Pressurized 20g-CO2 Kit - 0.7 ounces: Pet Supplies

One other question: with the eco-complete, Flourish ferts, and a limited number of rhisome/floating plants, should I still dose with Seachem Flourish comprehensive, or stop using it?

IMO you still need water column ferts, yes. And you should be dosing Excel daily not just at water changes, it only has a half life of (I think) 24 hours or so.

The Hagen thing is just a fancy DIY system. Make it yourself for cheaper.

The Fluval thing is a waste of money, IMO. Fluval uses a non-standard thread on the disposable refills so you are stuck buying them at an unreasonable price. It is possible to find an adapter to refillable paintball cylinders but it will be very hard to find. Best bet for it would be a brewing shop.

If you really want to get into it then upgrade the lights, go with dry ferts and add CO2.

blert said:
IMO you still need water column ferts, yes. And you should be dosing Excel daily not just at water changes, it only has a half life of (I think) 24 hours or so.

The Hagen thing is just a fancy DIY system. Make it yourself for cheaper.

The Fluval thing is a waste of money, IMO. Fluval uses a non-standard thread on the disposable refills so you are stuck buying them at an unreasonable price. It is possible to find an adapter to refillable paintball cylinders but it will be very hard to find. Best bet for it would be a brewing shop.

If you really want to get into it then upgrade the lights, go with dry ferts and add CO2.

I second that. FYI Hagen makes fluval same company. Great company but junk when it comes to co2 products so far.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-carbon-dioxide-injection/ps/c/3578/3747 here are some mentioned and other easy to use units. If you wanna go all out buy a system from green leaf aquatics. Don't get me wrong the Hagen bubble ladder worked on my 20 gallon long back in the early days of co2 experimentation it's just cheaper to build your own instead of wasting your money on that system. And the fluval mini pressurized system gets you in the wallet with their outrageous priced refills. Your better off buying a system that at least uses a paintball canister and refilling it cheaply every so often depending on what size tank you go with. Co2 should be a fun exciting experience not breaking the bank. If you get a fully automated system and go large from the get go it will cost you but pay for itself in a year or two. I have a 10lb tank I refill for 11 bucks once a year it's awesome. Beats buying sugar and yeast constantly I don't miss those days.

Green Leaf is great for many things, but their regulators are ridicules. I would recommend going with the Milwaukee regulators. They're surprisingly good for the cost.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at both Green Leaf and Milwaukee for CO2 systems.

So, as I suspected, I should consider replacing my Marineland double bright LEDs? Would the Zoo Med AquaSun work as a replacement?

I found a couple of CO2 systems on Amazon that I'm now considering.

Amazon.com: Milwaukee Instruments Solenoid Valve, CO2 Regulator with Bubble Counter: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with COOL TOUCH SOLENOID: Pet Supplies

The more reviews I read, the more I think I should replace my lighting. I think a 20g high tank is too deep for the Marineland double bright LED lights to work well. The best priced well reviewed light seems to be Zoo Med.

Amazon.com: Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies

Has anyone used any of the above and could give feedback?

I've only recently have seen a few smaller planted tanks with LEDs from marineland most were 20 longs and had co2 of some sort or another being introduced. The plant growth was ok but not the best I've ever seen but they are working. I myself am riding the t-5 ho train a while longer I'm not completely sold on LEDs yet. I know they are possibly the future and will be improved upon but I'm not ready yet(hanging on to a wall kicking lol!) my good friend just recently put two 36 inch LEDs from marineland over a 40 gallon breeder with DIY co2 and low-med light plants we are doing some experimenting to see what they can grow in a deeper tank right now so I have no results for you yet to give. It's our lil science project to see what it can do over the next few months. Heck I still have a tank with halides(electric company loves that tank) but they are mounted and hang down from my ceiling in my sitting room and I love the looks of it but I'm sure I'll go t-5's on that tank too someday. The zoo med fixture gets good reviews because they use German bulbs and ballast but so does geismann. Any t-5 fixture will do but I'd get geissman bulbs good German lighting!( some say they use leftover panzer tank parts to make the bulbs lol! I kid I kid!!!:)

Back
Top Bottom