What should i do??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamers442

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, ive just noticed that hair algea is starting to grow on my (not live) rocks its about 3mm long, and i was just wondering what i should do or try and get coz i know it can get out of control pretty fast! The water parameters are spot on i do WC's every 3 weeks, tanks been up and running about 6 months, its a Fluval 125ltr the lighting is T8s which are the originals which i got with the tank when i first bought it about 4 years ago! Pls help! Oh i almost forgot ive got 2 clowns, 1 wimple, 2 Green chromis, 2 hermits, 1 Cleaner shrimp,1 Chocolate chip starfish and 1 Dwarf something fish cant remember what ya called it lol!

For starters, check phosphates and nitrate as they are usually the culprit for hair algae. Best way to get it out, is to remove the rock and scrub it with a toothbrush or something (clean) in some RO water. Don't try to pull it of the rock while it's in the tank as it is a good way to seed more of it... Do you use RO water or tap? How often are
you feeding? How often are you doing PWC's?

Benamayer said:
For starters, check phosphates and nitrate as they are usually the culprit for hair algae. Best way to get it out, is to remove the rock and scrub it with a toothbrush or something (clean) in some RO water. Don't try to pull it of the rock while it's in the tank as it is a good way to seed more of it... Do you use RO water or tap? How often are
you feeding? How often are you doing PWC's?

Thanks for replying, how do i check phosphates is that another test kit? Plus i use tap water PWC's every 3 weeks i cant afford RO: ( i fill up my 30ltr bucket with clean tap water and mix with the right amount of salt the day before i do my WC leaving over night get it up to temp, then i siphon out the same amount into another bucket from the tank then top up with the clean water. Ps i feed once every morning before i go to work they get 1 half of a frozen block of food Brine, mysis, lobster eggs etc. could it be the lights causing it cheers for your advise i will follow it!

Get a phosphate test kit. Tap water is usually loaded with phates, that's why RO/DI water is worth it. I buy it at my LFS for $.25 a gallon, so weekly water changes only cost $1.50 plus salt, which I buy in buckets... An acceptable number of phosphates is essentially "0". Anything over .03 ppm is considered high, which is why doing things to prevent them are important. So get a test kit, and you can start by checking the water in your aquarium, and for giggles I would check your tap water. I'm interested to hear the results...

Benamayer said:
And I meant $1.25 haha I'm an idiot...

Haha no probs i will get scrubbing tomorrow, hopefully try and get to the LFS this weekend and try to get a phates kit thanks very much for the advise much appreciated plus i will keep u informed thanks again; )

And ask your LFS if they sell RODI... It's cheap. I go there with 4 big 5 gallon buckets and am pod for a couple weeks on $5.00!

Back
Top Bottom