What should I expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can aim for the low side, but I'd shoot for 3-4ppm. Here's a calculator to help you figure how much to add, you've just got to know the % of the ammonia-
Calculator

Maybe no fishes by Sunday...but hopefully lots of beneficial bacteria in little party hats :D

Ummm..I tried using that chart and maybe I am doing it wrong, but it told me to add 20.19 ml of solution. I know that would certainly be waaaaaay more than what it needs.

(My tank is 40 US gallons, desired level 4ppm, my ammonia says it contains 3% of ammonia)

I think I may stick with adding 1 ml at a time. Maybe the bottle I have contains a higher percentage than what it says.:confused:

swimwithme said:
Ummm..I tried using that chart and maybe I am doing it wrong, but it told me to add 20.19 ml of solution. I know that would certainly be waaaaaay more than what it needs.

(My tank is 40 US gallons, desired level 4ppm, my ammonia says it contains 3% of ammonia)

I think I may stick with adding 1 ml at a time. Maybe the bottle I have contains a higher percentage than what it says.:confused:

Yeah, something is goofy there. When you increase the ammonia strength it reduces the amount to add...but lower the % and it reduces it. There might be another calculator online, otherwise you'll need to just add a little, circulate, test, add more, etc ..

*Whoops, I said that backwards, but you get the idea :D

Last edited:
Okay, here are my results for the last few days.

10/21 (8:15pm)
Ammo - .50ppm NitrIte - 5ppm NitrAte - 20ppm
Added 1 1/2 ml ammonia at 8:30pm
Rechecked 1 hr - Ammo - 1 ppm
Added 1 1/2 ml ammonia

10/22 (9pm)
Ammo - .50ppm NitrIte - >5ppm NitrAte 20ppm
Added 3ml ammonia at 9:15pm
Rechecked at 9:50pm - Ammo <1ppm

10/23 (9:20pm)
Ammo - 0ppm NitrIte - 5ppm NitrAte - 20ppm
Added 4ml ammonia at 9:30pm

10/24 (9:20pm)
Ammo - 0ppm NitrIte - 5ppm NitrAte - between 10 & 20ppm PH - 7.5
Added 4 1/2ml ammonia at 9:30pm
Rechecked at 9:45pm - Ammo - between .50 & 1ppm

10/25 (9:30pm)
Ammo - 0ppm NitrIte - between 2&5ppm NitrAte - 5ppm (not sure if this is correct)
Added 5ml ammonia at 9:40pm
Rechecked at 10pm - Ammo - 1ppm
Added 1ml ammonia at 10:10pm

10/26 (6:30am)
Ammo - 1ppm

So, do you think that I may not be adding enough ammonia each day? I can't seem to get my ammonia up even after I dose it, it seems to stay low. I don't want to overdose it.
And could there be a reason why my NitrAtes are seeming to be dropping? Could it be that I'm not dosing the ammonia high enough and my trAtes are now dropping off. My trItes seem to be staying about the same.:confused:

I'd blame the nitrAte dropping on a faulty test (make sure you're following the instructions in the booklet and shaking like your life depended on it). It's simply not scientifically possible unless you have a heavily planted tank. Some degree of nitrate will turn into nitrogen gas...by never as fast as the nitrAte is being produced...so you'll always see an increase.

How much ammonia are you adding? I'd make sure you're dosing it up to a minimum of 3ppm, 4ppm would be better. If you're only adding small doses it defeats the purpose of fishless cycling to a point, and you lose many of the benefits of the process.

Try adding your standard amount, let it circulate for ~20 minutes, test, and continue to add more until you've reached the required ppm.

I'd blame the nitrAte dropping on a faulty test (make sure you're following the instructions in the booklet and shaking like your life depended on it). It's simply not scientifically possible unless you have a heavily planted tank. Some degree of nitrate will turn into nitrogen gas...by never as fast as the nitrAte is being produced...so you'll always see an increase.

How much ammonia are you adding? I'd make sure you're dosing it up to a minimum of 3ppm, 4ppm would be better. If you're only adding small doses it defeats the purpose of fishless cycling to a point, and you lose many of the benefits of the process.

Try adding your standard amount, let it circulate for ~20 minutes, test, and continue to add more until you've reached the required ppm.

Okay, I'll check my ammo tonight when I get home. Usually around 6:30 to 7pm. It's hard with baby at night and I usually don't get to test my water until late. I'll try dosing it earlier this evening so I have time to keep testing until I get to the appropriate amount. I'll update. As always, thanks eco.

Sorry, the last 3 days, I have added between 4 & 5 ml of ammonia, once a day.
Should I double that?

swimwithme said:
Sorry, the last 3 days, I have added between 4 & 5 ml of ammonia, once a day.
Should I double that?

I'm not sure what that amounts to...you'll have to let your test kit dictate how much to add. You're doing the right thing, pick a time of day, and every 24 hours at that time do your testing and add your ammonia. There's really no need to test or add ammo more often than that. Seems like you've got the hang of it :)

okay eco, I'm starting to think that maybe that chart might actually be right. (You'll see why in a minute)

I tested my tank at 6:20pm last night
Results were Ammo - .25ppm, NitrIte - >5ppm, NitrAte - 5-10ppm

Added 5ml ammonia and re-tested after 40 minutes. Ammo was 1ppm

Added 5ml ammonia and re-tested after 40 minutes. Ammo was 2ppm

Added another 2ml ammonia & re-tested after 30 min. Ammo was still around 2ppm

So added 5ml more of ammonia for a total of 17ml ammonia added.

Unfortunately, I did not get to re-test after I added the last 5ml, but I'm hoping it was enough to bring it to at least 3ppm. I am going to test when I get home and add in 15 ml at first then add more if needed.

So, you see why I said that the calculator may be right. It said to add 20.19ml of ammonia (If I remember correctly):hide:

It sounds like it was right. The lower the percentage of ammonia the weaker it is and the more you'd have to add. At least you double-checked it by adding a little at a time so now you know how much to add. :)

Ok, something is wrong.

10/27 - ammo <.25ppm, No2 2ppm, No3 5ppm
Added 20 ml ammo and retested after 30 min, ammo was 4 ppm

10/28 - ammo 0ppm, No2 2ppm, No3 5ppm
Added 20ml ammonia

10/29 - ammo 0ppm, No2 2ppm, No3 5ppm
Added 20 ml ammo

10/30 - ammo 0ppm, No2 2ppm, No3 5ppm
Added 20ml ammo

10/31 - ammo 1 ppm, No2 2 ppm, No3 5ppm
No ammo added

11/1- ammo .50ppm, No2 2ppm, No3 5ppm
Did a 80% pwc

I did the pwc because I hadn't added ammo in 48 hrs. Is this normal for the ammo to stop dropping all of a sudden? Since I did the pwc, should I add any ammo now or wait until I recheck it tomorrow?

Hmm...that's not it than.

Only real option is to wait it out for a few days. You can go back and make sure nothing funny happened like forgetting dechlorinator during the pwc...but there's not much we can do. I'm sure it'll get back on track soon. Another little dose of Replenish wouldn't hurt though (if you haven't already).

Yeah, I added both dechlorinator and replenish when I did my water change. I guess I'll rech

Oops! On my phone and holding a sick baby. I was trying to say that I guess I'll check all the levels tomorrow.

Oh boy, I went to 2 LFS today and had them test my water just to see what their test strips show.
Both places said my No2 & No3 were off the chart, however, when I test the No3, it shows it's between 5 & 10 ppm.
My ammo shows around 1ppm. I did find out that our tap water is being treated with ammo, since we are in a stage 2 drought.
I chkd my tap and it does show around 1ppm.
Here are my results from tonight. Ammo-1ppm, No2->5ppm, No3-between 5 & 10ppm, PH-6.6 (which did drop significantly over the last 2 days. Two days ago, it was 7.2. One lfs suggested using spring water, but that is alot of water to try and buy to bring home. Not sure what I should do at this point. This is becoming not so much fun. :-( Help!
Shoyld I try doing a 50% pwc and add the spring to see if it helps?

There's no reason (or logic) to use spring water...especially if you have that replenish as a little bonus. The pH dropping is a big warning sign that a pwc needs to be done ASAP. I'd do a massive one to knock the no2 way down, and also restore the same pH as your tap water.

image-1155108791.jpg

Ok, I did a 90% PWC, and added my dechlorinator plus my replenish. Rechecked and my results are: Ammo-.50ppm, No2->5ppm, No3-20ppm.

Back
Top Bottom