What size filter would i need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesseka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what size filter(L/Hr) i should get to keep my new fish tank as crystal clear as possible the measurements to it are 3ft long by 1.5ft wide by 1.4 ft high. It already has a filter, but is rather old and covered in algae. Also how do i get rid of algae on the ornaments if thats possible? The fish tank is only going to have goldfish in it. How many would i fit in it? Thankyou for any help

ummm i think its about 120L which is approx 30gallons, but i am not positive. i have only just recieved it off a friend so have not added water yet, still in the process of cleaning it out etc. but it is between 26-30 gallons.

I know there are filters that say it can filter "up to" a certain amount. For example, I have a filter in my room that reads "up to 20 gallons". I can't use it because my tank is more than 20 gallons. In your case, I would suggest looking for a filter that reads "up to 30 gallons" on the box. Good luck. :)

thankyou that will help me in my search. although here in aus its litres so ill have to do it "for up to 120l tanks"

Assuming that you measured the outside of the tank, and assuming that the measurements were 36" x 18" X ~17" you have a tank that is roughly 47 gallons by the outside dimensions. I'd guess it's a 45g tank. I'd look for a filter that is rated for at least 55g, possibly two filters that are rated at 30g each and put one on each end of the tank.

Assuming that you measured the outside of the tank, and assuming that the measurements were 36" x 18" X ~17" you have a tank that is roughly 47 gallons by the outside dimensions. I'd guess it's a 45g tank. I'd look for a filter that is rated for at least 55g, possibly two filters that are rated at 30g each and put one on each end of the tank.

I definitely agree...especially with goldfish, I would go with at least double filtration.

Your tank is called 45g breeder tank. For a reasonably stocked tank, you should take manufacturer's recommendation then assume they are only capable of handling 50% of the quoted number. All of them over-estimates their ability to filter water. If you are up to it, I normally like to have two filters per tank. A combination of canister and HOB is nice.

Choosing it based purely on the flow rate doesn't always work. Eheim as an example, relies on a slower flow rate while Rena Filstar relies on a faster flow rate. Both methods work.

For that tank, & esp. doing goldfish, I would go with a canister filter. I would aim for 10-15x water turnover per hour, so around 500gph or 2000 l/hr. (Something like a Rena Filstar XP3.)

Yes, this is much higher than the "up to x gal" marking on the box. But the manufacturer usu. over-estimate their filter's ability. <Tests are done with filters empty, but in real life, the filter clogs with use, etc.> Also, for goldfish, doubling the filtration recommended for tropicals is wise.

Back
Top Bottom